Re: What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Page 6 of 15

It should be noted that of serial murderers..damned few used any sort of firearm, most were up close and personal.
Gunner
Ralph wrote:

Wy don't you just ignore the thread if you can't handle it?
prove it.
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:16:07 +0900, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

Pray tell...how would you accomplish this?
There are a bit more than 300,000,000 firearms in the US.
Think our people will simply turn them in or register them?
Snicker..think again
Gunner
Jerome Meekings wrote:

if you don't like it that Americans own handguns, start knocing on doors and tell the homeowner to surrender all waepons. You might as well start here in Florida, becasue there are plenty of hungry 'gators who don't mind a little lead in their food.
prove it.
Can you give us an example of severe gun control reducing violence? Look to Washington DC, New York City, and Los Angeles as possible examples to prove your point. Also, the United Kingdom and Australia may help make your point.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Actually the law gives a discount to murderers who use chainsaws rather than guns, in that there is often an extra penalty for using a gun but none for using a chainsaw ;)

Lets take if a step further. The one who should be tried is the government who allows such nutters to have guns.
Right?
I mean, it's the next logical step.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

If the government does in fact "allow such nutters to have guns".
--John
Did you hear about the SUV that offered the gun a ride? They went out and ran over a guy, and then shot him.
Both free on lease.....
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You really are a dumb gun fanatic looking for an excuse.
The figures are per thousand people of population. This takes into account the population difference.
I'd stop digging if I were you.
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:56:31 +0100, Colin Wilson

You left out "by other means"
Is there some reason you wish to hide those figures?
Gunner

I see no reason to bother continuing with your feeble arguments - your murder rate is three times higher despite your attempts to say gun ownership prevents crime.
Colin Wilson wrote:

And what would it be if guns in the US were banned? That's the point you miss--you assume that if the US had laws similar to those in whatever workers paradise you inhabit then the homicide rate would also be similar. But you have no evidence to support that contention.
--John

Nor have you to contend that guns are a panacea to prevent crime - it's clear the stats prove you wrong.
If you want to carry this on, do it in one newsgroup only - preferably not uk.d-i-y so I don't get to see the crap you're spouting.
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:41:43 +0100, Colin Wilson

What you seem to be missing, laddyboyo..is that when gun ownership was totally unrestricted in the UK and the US..the murder rate was even lower in both countries.
London reported (1) firearms murder in 1890, when firearms were readily available at any hardware store and any self respecting gent or lady didnt leave home without one.
If one removes the gang murders between minority groups competing for drug territory..the murder rate between the UK and the US falls to just within a few points.
So if its not the availiblity of firearms that is the root cause of the problem..and thats been demonstrated aptly by many nations, including Switzerland..it has to be something else.
"Its the culture, stupid", or the culture of groups within the society.
You can blither all you wish, but guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

Sure! He's another liar, like Hawkie.
prove it.
Why is it that the places with the highest gun crime rate (Wash DC, LA, NYC) also have the strictest gun control?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Colin Wilson wrote:

Uh, what does "the number of murders by gun crime" have to do with "letting the mentally ill own firearms"? Are you suggesting that committing murder is prima facie evidence that one is mentally ill? If not then what are you suggesting?
--John

A normal level-headed person doesn't commit murder unless they're sick - or perhaps to use an old phrase, criminally insane.
Being "mentally ill" can come about in a variety of ways, such as stress in work / being sacked (going postal), and maybe a little mentally disturbed, i.e. finding your wife in bed with the neighbour - having a gun available in these circumstances is likely to lead to a more permanent ending than, say, a good punch up.
Most gun crime against kids in the UK is not perpetrated by other kids (although the stats are getting worse) - whereas in the US it's pretty much endemic.
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:51:04 +0100, Colin Wilson

Not true in the least.
Gunner