Re: What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Page 14 of 15
According to John B <"">:

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Ouch!
    I simply have a fake carabiner clip hanging from my belt with my keys on it. Whenever I step into the shop, my wedding ring and my watch move to that clip and stay there until I exit the shop again. And none of my machines have moving parts at the level of that carabiner, or I would move *it* to a hook on the wall by the door. (It is a personal hobby shop, so I don't have to worry about them growing legs while I'm working. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

My wedding ring is on my finger most of the time... but comes off when I pick up a screwdriver.

When I got married it was a one-ring ceremony so i would never be tempted to wear a ring ;)

That photo made a lasting impression on me as well (back in 1962 or 63). I was thinking about making a similar post myself when I found John had beaten me to it.
--
Roger Chapman

puddle.com"> contains these words:

Probably faked though as the tendon would only go till just after the wrist where it attaches to the muscles that work the fingers. About 6 inches I would estimate. I always took my watch off after being told what happens if you forget and reach between the battery bus bars and never have worn a ring as they are naff and dangerous everywhere not just at work.
dennis@home wrote:

G'day Roger, Could have been ?? May not have been a tendon, but that's the way I remember it. It still did the trick, even if they played around with it in the 60's and 70's. I won't let the War Office see this in case she takes your point of view and makes me hunt up the ring :)
regards John
John B > wrote:

I rather like that term of endearment ;-)
It just perfectly sums up their position.
Dave
on 9/11/2007 7:36 AM John B > said the following:

Between then and now, your recollection of the length of the tendon has been growing longer with each telling. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Roger wrote:

G'day Roger, They sure didn't believe in getting rid of a good thing in those days :) I remember it from '71 or '72.
regards John

Nice...
I've got two I can recount, but they're not strictly handyman accidents.
When I was serving my apprenticeship, we did a bit of practical and a bit of workshop - one of the lads in our year managed to lose a finger while working on a lathe. I think he made the mistake of continuing to use it while turning around to talk to someone...
The other was an office accident, and this might top them all (sadly)
This happened either just before I started orvery shortly afterwards in another local office (now closed). We had some work experience kids in with varying levels of handicap, and someone thought it would be safe to let one of these kids use the shredder. Not even the manufacturer believed you could get a whole hand in that far :-/

Yikes. Over this past weekend some guy was killed when his shirt became entangled with a stump grinder being operated by some tree company. No word on why the homeowner was hanging around so close to the activity that he could get his shirt caught.
nancy

I wonder if they still sent a bill to the house?
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

What, for cleaning the stump grinder, you mean?
David
Nancy Young wrote:

Yet no one demands they outlaw shirts. Its sad, really.
Of course, if they outlaw shirts, only outlaws will own shirts.
prove it.
Ed Huntress wrote:

Back in the early to mid 70's when I was living with my grandparents and had grown my hair to about my belt loops, Grandpa and I went to the store one evening. Saw the ugliest looking person you ever saw. Grandpa asked him, "What happened to you?" The guy answered, "I got my ponytail caught in the lathe at work!"
Yikes
5 minutes later and several aisles over, Grandpa told me, "I ain't gonna ever tell you to get your hair cut again."
Didn't have long hair very much after that.

Man, these stories are piling up. My 1943 edition of _How to Run a Lathe_ doesn't say anything about it. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:17:39 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

A kid at the highschool where a friend's wife teaches always wore baggy track pants to school - regimental. Thought he was IT.
One day he somehow got his drawstring caught (wrapped around) on the wood lathe. Got a few good wraps of the track pants wound up too. They got the lathe stopped in time to save "the boys" - but JUST. Didn't faze the idiot at all - - -

(((snip)
Well, being in high school, he probably hadn't reproduced yet. So this counts as interfering with natural selection?
aem sends...

At 15 he had fathered at least 3. This is an "inner city" school. Stud muffin.

Maybe we're getting some insight into why kids don't want to take shop classes any more. Given how they dress and groom, it's downright dangerous.
-- Ed Huntress