Re: What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Page 2 of 15

Mine has not been that long in a couple of years now. 1/6" on the sides, uh, even less on top. Eliminates a lot of problems and is easy to style in the morning.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I'm in your camp. I call it a 6 month hair cut :) In Oz they are commonly called a Crew Cut.
regards John
on 9/11/2007 1:28 AM John B > said the following:

singin8 group called "The Crew Cuts" The "Life is but a Dream" melody immediately comes to mind, but I don't know if that was by the Crew Cuts
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

We used to call it a "bog brush" at school
--
geoff

why would anyone want to brush a swamp?
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

"bog" being a UK slang expression for toilet ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

"John Rumm" wrote in message

A personal favorite was when my cute secretary at the aircraft factory where I worked in Heston, UK would say to me frequently: "knock me up".
- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 8/08/07 KarlC@ (the obvious)

geoff

raden wrote:

We do, whe just don't get 'British'.
prove it.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

'English', not British, was the language that your founding fathers brought to your shore. Was it the Mayflower that was one of the first ships to land and populate that land?
It was you that chose to bastardise it, by ignoring the changes that we made to it over the years. Hence we talk the same language, but do not understand each other
Dave

Oh, hell, the French, the Spaniards, and the Dutch had been here for years before the Mayflower. Except for the Dutch, they were here for nearly a century before the English settlement at Jamestown, for that matter. The English were come-latelies to North America.

I don't think we have much trouble understanding you. As for the differences in punctuation and spelling, your source of today's accepted standards is the same as ours: typesetters of the 17th and 18th centuries. We just had different typesetters. And we had Noah Webster. <g>
-- Ed Huntress
on 9/12/2007 5:42 PM Dave said the following:

Now Dave, don't get your shorts all knotted up. The main US language is still English. We both have idioms that the other does not understand. We also have a segment that is unintelligible even to us, like you and your cockney, and that rhyming thing that no one understands. Besides, you no longer talk like the Pilgrims either. And let's not mention Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales. They might as well have been written in German. When it is important, we speak the same language.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Just testing the waters :-) Just don't take me serious.
Dave

(you do know he means the brush you clean the toilet with, don't you?)

Lets see..as I recall..yall also broght slavery, small pox, syphillis and broken promises just to name a few...
And you think thats a good thing?
Well..you did give my people "scalping" for which We are forever grateful
Gunner, Native American
Gunner wrote:

Actually that was the Spanish that started all that. By the time the British arrived small pox, syphilis, and broken promises were well established. The slavery part the indigenous population had already figured out on their own.

And the Spanish put an end to that whole human sacrifice thing.
--John
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:04:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"

So it was the Spanish given smallpox infected blankets to the Indians and paying bounties on scalps?

By baptizing the lot of them, then setting them on fire.
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

By the time anybody started giving "smallpox infected blankets" to the Indians the indigenous population had already been decimated. Sad fact, Native Americans, North and South, had no immunity--it spread like crazy.
As for bounties on scalps, I'm not sure what your point is. Where the Spanish arrived it wasn't scalps, it was hearts, and on a production line basis.

And how exactly are the English responsible for that?
--John
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:54:36 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Hardly so.
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

Actually, syphilis went from the Americas to Europe in 1493.