Re: What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Page 1 of 15

I missed your question, but I've done that many times. I don't recommend it unless you're really careful. On most surfaces you'll still want to either: 1) nail a brace to the wall you're working on, C-clamped or whatever to one or both of the stepladders; or 2) prop the stepladders with a long 2 x 4 from behind. I put a stake in the ground, nail the 2 x 4 to it, and clamp the 2 x 4 to the stepladder. I use two braces, one to each stepladder.
Using stepladders that way has long been a way to set up a low scaffold, but you'd better have good balance and not try to get too high with it. It does work, however. Using the braces slows the whole process down. It's a question of how you feel about broken bones.
I've also built homemade scaffolds and it's a real PITA, in my opinion. I use 2 x 4s for the verticals and 1" electrical conduit for diagonals. Never count on those diagonals to handle compressive loads; use two, crossbraced, so the load is always in tension.
The slickest solution I've used is two regular ladders with ladder hooks for a scaffold plank. I'll go up about ten feet with that, but no higher. Again, you want to nail a brace to the wall. Use a short plank or else make sure you're using genuine scaffold plank, which is undressed and thicker than framing planks.
-- Ed Huntress

My dad always took the attitude that if you were careful, there was really no need for things like blade guards on table saws, or using pushers to feed the wood into the saw. Then he got distracted one day while cutting some thin (maybe 1"?) strips for planter boxes, and the saw hit a knot.
My first thought as he came up the stairs was that he was teasing me with a red plastic snake. Then I saw that it was blood all over his hand.
If you ever end up getting a finger (right index finger, in this case -- and dad was right-handed, and he was an accountant, and this was right before tax season) amputated, *don't* let the doctors convince you that it'll be less noticeable if they go ahead and take the knuckle along with it. They're right, but you really do want as much of the hand as possible for stability.

I'm with you. It's scaring the pants off of me.
I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to make darned sure I keep my hair cut short...
-- Ed Huntress
"Ed Huntress" wrote

handsome head of hair. Until the night he got involved in an altercation with a crazed, very intoxicated woman. She grabbed his hair in a death grip and they could not pry her loose for several minutes. By that time, she had torn much of his scalp loose from his head.
The resulting injuries were very painful and took awhile to heal. They shaved his head before they did the surgery to reattach his scalp. He had to keep it shaved during the recovery. It has never been more than a half an inch long since.
He said if he retires or takes up another line of work, he might grow some hair agin. But as long as he is a law enforcement officer, he will go with a buzz cut.

'Sounds wise to me. When I hear these stories I have to wonder why some do-gooder group hasn't done PSAs on television showing how your scalp can get peeled off if your hair is long and it gets caught in something.
Spiro Agnew would have liked those.
-- Ed Huntress
Lee Michaels wrote:

That's all very well, but what about injuries sustained from electric hair clippers, especially when used in bathrooms?
Owain
on 9/10/2007 5:36 PM Owain said the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Owain wrote:

happened, you ask? He hit a golf ball in a tile bathroom.     yuk     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Then your aunt beat him with his golf clubs for breaking the mirror, window and glass shower doors.
prove it.
Lee Michaels wrote:

I don't know what a buzz cut is, but I suspect that it is a cut of the hair that can not be grabbed/held.
Most police officers in the UK have the same short cut, for the same reasons.
Dave

ride along the scalp. Think electric dog clippers- basically the same thing. The buzz is 60hz, from the alternating line current, that is used to move the heads back and forth. In UK, it would be a 50hz buzz. You hear it right through your skull. I had buzz cuts as a kid, until I looked in the mirror one day around 4th or 5th grade. I had a pony tail as a teenager, but am back to above-the collar now. The current buzz-cut fad, presumably war-inspired, leaves me cold.
aem sends...
For some further clarification on "buzz cut" you can look here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_cut

Doug Brown wrote:

Thanks for that :-)
I had heard of a # 1 etc. but never a # 0
Dave
ameijers wrote:

Doubt that it really has anything to do with war. Circle goes around--when I was a little kid buzz cuts and crew cuts were popular. When I was a bit older styles got longer (I remember when the Beatles, as they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, had scandalously long hair) and longer and longer and then shorter and shorter and shorter and now we're back to buzz cuts. In another 30 years or so it will be long again.
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

If you still have any hair. ;-)
prove it.
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:37:34 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Shit..when I went to war..I wore a mohawk most of the time.
Gunner

Also to prevent major lice infestations.

Cops used to wear uniform shirts with those nifty epaulets on the shoulders. Great hand holds for the bad guys.
I cut mine loose and put velcro on the shirt and epaulets. First bad ass to grab one as he had so many before, stood there staring at it with a surprised and stupid look on his face, long enough for me to chop him down like an oak with my baton.
Gunner
on 9/16/2007 3:31 PM Gunner Asch said the following:

How times have changed. When I started, I wore a Sam Browne belt with the leather shoulder strap over a dress blouse. It wasn't until the 70's when the strap became a hazard, and we became pigs, that it was removed.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Dave wrote:

AKA a 'burr' haircut like you get when you enter basic training or boot camp. About 1/8" long.
prove it.
on 9/10/2007 2:11 PM Ed Huntress said the following:

My hair has been cut so that it is no more than 1/2" long. The one tool that I use that I have the most respect for (read scared of) is the radial arm saw, especially when ripping. Somehow, the blade over the table is more respected (read scared of) than one under the table. The others, I'm just merely careful.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY