Re: What does borg mean? enquiring minds want to know

BORG=Big Orange Retail Giant
Home Depot in particular, Lowe's and all other "Big Box" operations in general?
DexAZ

It's from Star Trek, and used in reference to Home Depot. The Borg are a race of cold and ruthless cyborgs who assimilate and wipe out other cultures, and travel around in cube-shaped spaceships.
Kinda like what HD tends to do with local hardware and tool chains.
GTO(John)
And it's INQUIRING, dammit! Someday, it'll all be over....

No it's not. Only you colonials spell it that way and us Brits was here first. Actually, my spell check will accept either version.
John

Big Orange Retail Giant
GTO69RA4 wrote:

Akchoolee, this isn't entirely true. There are many examples of small stores/businesses that continue to thrive despite having a big box close by. In other words, there's more than meets the eye when it comes down to why someone is/isn't still in business. Its very convenient to blame Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart/et al.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

The small hardware store in my town stocks repair stuff for homes like mine built in the 60's. The Lowes & borg don't. One manager told me their inventory was controlled from corporate HQ, about 2000 miles from here. No local items at all.
When a pulley failed on my garage door I went to the boxes first but nothing there fit. The little guy had 'em.
-- Mark

It's reasonably representative of what HD would _like_ to do, tho. Just as Star Trek's borg wants to take over other life forms it finds, HD would like to take over any market for hardware, etc, that it finds. Fortunately neither borg always succeeds.
John
OMG, he's been assimilated!
--
A: No. See: Help, I'm
<http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html being held

Sometimes Lowes is referred to as "Blue BORG".
--
A: No. See: Help, I'm
<http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html being held