Re: What do YOU use kerosene for?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:00:20 +0000, Andy Dingley

I thought the mere fact that it was "denatured" was good enough - drink and die. So in the UK they go so far as to put a noxious odor to it. Bummer.

You said it ! We don't have Everclear over here either.
Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

The M1A1 has a purpose-made multifuel gas turbine. For the word straight from the manufacturer see <www.honeywellaerospace.com/pdf/AGT1500Turbine.pdf>.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

According to <http://www.honeywellaerospace.com/pdf/AGT1500Turbine.pdf , the Abrams is multi-fueled.
RE: Subject
Diesel #1 AKA: Kerosene
Jet Fuel A, essentially super filtered Kerosene.
Diesel #2: The basic fuel of the transportation industry.
Diesel #6: AKA Bunker "C", basic fuel of the marine industry. Must be heated to reduce the viscosity to a point where it came be pumped.
Years ago, Bunker "C" was burned to generate steam which then was used to power a turbine to drive the ship's propeller.
Today, many ships use direct diesel engine power.
As far as the Chrysler turbine car is concerned, the one I saw in the Chrysler lab at the old Highland Park facility was definitely gasoline powered.
It was the propulsion system, not necessarily the fuel system, that was of interest back in those days.
Chrysler was on the edge of going into deep doo-doo and was looking for a magic bullet of some kind.
Lew
All this talk about petroleum constituents! I majored in college chemistry so I have some idea. All these products are a complicated mix of various alkanes in various lengths. Petroleum is separated in a distillation by various fractions by using temperature. The higher the temperature, the thicker the liquid and the higher the boiling point. First, gas is removed, then ether, naphtha, gasoline, kerosene, gas oil (diesel fuel), lubricating oil, then petroleum solids. Crude oil is used to make many products.
I keep a small amount of kerosene, rubbing alcohol, WD-40, lithium grease, paraffin, and household oil in the shop, but NOT gasoline!

ships.
I was a tank mechanic from 1982 to 1986. We had M60s for about the first five months I was on active duty. We then got M1s. I used to fuel my M88's 1720 cubic inch, 12 cylinder diesel from the same trucks that delivered fuel to the M1s. It's a safe bet it was diesel.

battle
zilch

So? In sufficient quantity, *anything* will kill you. Common 'table salt', for one example. Or even pure oxygen.
And *everybody* that gets _any_ form of cancer has been found to have consumed large quantities of Dihydrogen Oxide.

I state as absolute fact that people *do* so use it. A fact that is trivially easy to verify by consulting compendiums of 'folk remedies', "patent medicines", "nostrums", etc.

A great many medications -- be they "prescription", "over the counter", or 'folk' remedies -- are well-known poisons. Used in 'palliative' doses, they are not harmful to humans, while *killing* less-resistant, lower- order, creatures.
I did not state that it was a 'desirable' substitute, nor that I recommend such use.
Petroleum distillates, in quantities of "less than a mouthful" are well- known *NOT* to be fatal, or even temporarily disabling. Proof is in the man, _MANY_, *thousands* of people who have ingested such over the years, from 'suck starting" a fuel syphon.
Robert Bonomi remarks:

well- known *NOT* to be fatal, or even temporarily disabling. Proof is in the man, _MANY_, *thousands* of people who have ingested such over the years, from 'suck starting" a fuel syphon.<<
Oh, yeah. Ugh. Nasty, and every burp for hours tastes like gasoline, but it sure isn't fatal (kept me afraid to light a cigarette for two days, though). Or if it is fatal, it is sure slow acting: more than 50 years since I tried that one.

Oklahoma Credit Card....
George responds:

50
Oklahoma Credit Card.... <<
Well, hell. I've got family in Oklahoma somewhere, but I haven't heard from them in 50 years, either. But my CC was in Westchester County, NY...specifically, just outside Katonah.
On 12 Mar 2005 06:05:28 -0800, the inscrutable "Charlie Self"

After watching other people do it all the time (and having done it once myself) I designed a foolproof siphon system which guaranteed that I ended up with no gas in the mouth. I took a rubber toilet float and punched two holes in the top. Into the smaller hole I placed a piece of 3/8" aquarium hose. Into the larger hole I placed the 7' piece of stiff garden hose. Place the hose in the tank, slide the "stopper" to the filler, and blow. You can put enough pressure differential into the larger hose to get it to flow instantly without risk of "fume mouth". I used it to fill my lawnmower gas cans.
As a teenager, my buddy with the super hot '67 GTO used an RV water pump and a 50' hose to fill his tank from unsuspecting RVs. That Goat with the 6-packed 389 V-8 really sucked gas. He'd put the outlet into his tank, switch the pump on, and stick the hose in the RV tank. 5 minutes later, he was full. He was really lucky he was never caught at that during Carter's Gas Rationing Days.
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
spake:

The make 'em with pump and valve nowadays, but that's for sissies. The excitement of ripping a quick five gallons in a poorly-lit parking lot would be much less if you couldn't get a mouthful from hyperventilation....
The Oklahoma reference I learned from Texans. Here they're also referred to as Finnish credit cards.
George wrote:

I thought Okies soaked their socks in kerosene to keep the ants from crawling up their legs and eating their candy asses?

No Finn with a mouthful of petrol is going to spit it back in the tank.

In rocketry, (F-1 Saturn V-style engines) the reaction (combustion of hydrogen and oxygen) is so violent,even when the propagation is moderated via coupled turbine pumps, that an additional component is introduced to moderate the burn....Kerosene.
Is that cool or what?
Robatoy wrote:

F-1? F-1 was not a hydrogen-fueled rocket, it used kerosene and LOX.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I stand (sit) corrected. The hydrogen was for the J-2's. My mistake.
It's good for taking rust off of your TS when used with steel wool.