Re: What do you make and where do you put it?

Page 1 of 2
On 1/28/2010 10:37 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I make firnaces andput 'em in /other/ /peoples'/ houses. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I am finishing up a design, along with a furniture-industry designer for a flatscreen entertainment centre which in some ways is quite advanced. The first couple of prototypes are already on the bench and I'm keeping a bit of a log. The two big features are hidden wires and modular construction which allows choices of finishes right off the shelf. Then they go to people's houses.

As per request:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/TuToneAV.jpg

I make things I need: A table, book case, shelves for the garage, model railroad benchwork, etc. They go where they're needed. The next major project looks to be a board game cupboard, followed by a wheeled tool chest for under my model railroad.
While the theoretical limit does exist, it could easily take a lifetime for a casual woodworker (like most of us are) to fill a house with their projects. Plus, as styles and tastes change, some of the woodworking projects are likely to become useless and others will be needed.
Puckdropper
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:37:21 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools

Projects to do for me: 2 end tables coffee table 3 or 4 picture frames
Projects to do for others (all gratis) Bookcase for grandson of good friend Cutting boards for gifts
I've done more for other's houses than my own. I've done some things where the recipient will pay for the wood, but labor is a hobby, not a job, so it is free.

Not a problem the past year or so. We are doing much of the finish on our retirement home including hardwood floors, staircase, some cabinets, tub surrounds, trim etc.
Otherwise, we have:
- Done similar trim/finish work for both of our kids during home construction - Built some furniture items for ourselves and our son - Built five rather involved hardwood rocking horses. Two for grand- kids. One for a friends daughter. Two for church raffle prizes. - Fancy picture frames for us and others - Quilt racks for us and others - Shop storage and bench projects - Etc.
Obviously a lot of the above went somewhere else or is attached to a home.
Now that I am retired and finishing up with our home project, I might have to start working on inventory management.
Oh-Oh!
RonB
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:01:25 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

SPF furnace?
P.S: Why are you guys feeding the TooManyTwinkies Troll?
-- It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self. -- Agnes Repplier
On 1/29/2010 9:29 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Exactly. Where they're suitable, firnaces are much more economical than furnaces.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Bbbbut, don't they burn up in the first heating session?
-- It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self. -- Agnes Repplier
On 1/29/2010 11:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Silly wabbit, firnaces aren't for burning!
They get heat from the sun, and they do that so well it takes /all/ night for the sun to recharge for the next day...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Those aren't firnaces, they're passive solar panels, aka "plastialumplyaces".
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Now _THAT_ could the basis of a really effective (viral) advertising campaign.

And a _lot_ less expensive to build than cherry-aces, or maple-aces. *GRIN*
On 1/30/2010 8:41 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Absolutely - I've been tempted to try pine clones.
:-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Some people could get pithed off at that kind of a substitution, wooden you know?
On 1/29/2010 2:57 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

There's much to be said for that - and there can be considerable satisfaction in making things for other than just oneself.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

They all don't go in my house, I sell 95% of what I build although I am currently involved with replacing/building all new master bed room furniture for our home.
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:58:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Twelve thousand board feet and counting, wot?
-- It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self. -- Agnes Repplier

LOL, Some times it feels like that. Especially the time Swingman helped me load 27 sheets of oak veneer 3/4" plywood into my truck for a double kitchen job we worked on together. Cut it all up in one long afternoon.

Bookshelves
Under the nether parts of books.
Also, I've built a significant number of boxes/bins for media. Furniture is actually fairly well handled by industry goods, but CD bins and bookshelves from most suppliers are ... dreadful on several levels. I can get good chairs, good tables, good bedsteads and dressers, but it takes saws and elbow grease to get a good shelf for my printed treasures.