Re: Well, today we lost the first amendment in the US

>>That is one of the most irritating sites to get into that exists. I gave up >>after filling out the tail end of the moronic form 4 times, getting to the >>article, and having an ad come up. Reload and it goes back to the form. >> >>Charlie Self >> >>"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's >chains." >>Dwight D. Eisenhower >> >> > >I have a program, Ad-aware, that killed off the pop-ups as they came >up.

These are not pop-ups. They are part of a form that the Post insists you fill out to get access to their paper. It has some flaws.

I had forgotten how irritating it was. I hope I don't again.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:58:03 GMT, Charles brought forth from the murky depths:

Dittoes to McCain and Feingold. Even if their concepts are too narrow, it's a start; a step in the right direction.

Another way to slow corruption is to communalize troughs, banning individual contributions to a given candidate. All campaign money for an office would go into a single till and would be divvied up equally between valid office seekers 3 weeks before the vote. This would equalize their odds and help rule out curried favors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so *

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes. Not bad. No matter who puts it in, it goes in the pot, which gets sliced as soon as it gels...and is doled out to acceptable candidates (who sets the acceptability rules, though?).

At the same time, we need some kinds of timing limits, similar to the system the Brits use. 90 days and no more. Anyone, incumbent or otherwise, who tries campaigning ahead of time is automatically penalized...say 250,000 votes per incident in Presidential elections; 75,000 votes per incident in Congressional runs for the bucks.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

There are at least two problems with that approach:

1) Who determines who is, and who is not, a "valid office seeker"? The opportunities for graft and corruption there are at least as great as they are now. 2) Funding election campaigns with public money, that is, with the taxpayers' money, compels at least some, if not most, of the populace to fund the election campaigns of candidates whose views they oppose. Any way you look at it, that's just wrong.

Doug Miller

----------- When I tried it it only asked for gender, year of birth and country I was in. Then off it went to the page. No forms, no adds nothing. My firewall may have killed the adds but it doesn't kill forms.

Try telling them you are in the UK.

Reply to
gandalf

I always tell everyone I'm from Upper Slobobia.

Jenny Qztpxrn

555B Blarzwtfzl Frztwp, Qztrn Faz Upper Slobobia, 90210

22-44-66-88-867-5309

:)

Reply to
Silvan