Re: #@$! warranty

>>I had a service technician from a local appliance dealer come out to work >>on our GE microwave. Then a few months later had him come back for the >>same appliance. then it was the fridge. Next was the drier. All GE and >>all about 5 yr old. The tech told me that he had been working on >>appliances for 15 years. He said " You will never find a GE product in my >>house". My house will eventually be GE free too. > > >And to think that GE is one of the 3 big jet engine manufacturers. > >

So what is the warranty on a big jet engine, anyway?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

You crash and they will give you a new one.

Reply to
Upscale

My mistake. You crash and they will give your relatives a new one.

Reply to
Upscale

Well, to be fair to GE, I've got a house full of the stuff (used to be an employee), and I'm having zero problems. I called their 800 number a few weeks back - had a piece of clothing wrapped around and under the impeller of the washing machine, and they spent a good 20 minutes on the phone with me talking me through getting the impeller off and getting the stuck stuff out. So it's a net-positive for me, based on... 8 GE appliances of one type or another.

That said, GE outsourced manufacturing of appliances to Mexico about 8 years ago; mine are all made in Appliance Park (KY? TN?), so maybe you're just seeing the obvious result of GE's decision to source to "low cost countries". Maybe they'll get smart before it's too late?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"No, sorry, it's specifically 'lifetime of the pilot', and non-transferable"

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reminds me of that Ron White (redneck comedian) line. "He wanted to know how far the plane could fly on one engine. That's easy. All the way to the crash!"

Reply to
Lee Michaels

good to the last drop??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well, they come to the user with a whole lot more hours of testing on them than the appliances that get dropped off of a production line in some foreign country.

Mark & Juanita

What manufacturer do you think would allow you to call in your own repair tech and then reimburse you his fee? Have you ever heard of a warranty that worked this way? I sure haven't.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

In West Aust. Motor vehicles do not have to be returned to the dealer for warranty work. Any QUALIFIED mechanic can carry them out and have the bill paid by the dealer. Regards John

Reply to
John B

is that with or without the extended warranty?

Reply to
bridger

Actually, Saab just had a problem with some of their engines, and they're retroactively doing just that. If you already paid to have it fixed, they'll reimburse you for it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree. But in this case, their warranty explicitly stated that they would send a repairman or authorize a service call. The would not do either. All they would do was FedEx me the part after I did the testing under their phone supervision.

Once again I ask. What do they do when the proverbial little old lady, who doesn't even know how to work a screwdriver, let alone a VOM, calls up with a problem?

I repeat - their warranty is no warranty at all!

Reply to
lgb

A good rule of thumb when calling any help desk is to act like the little old lady. See what they will do for you before letting on that you know anything. Never start off with your own diagnosis (not saying you did). Same principle applies at the doctors office. If he wants your opinion he will ask for it.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

That is a campaign generated from a recall. This is not normal warranty. If work was already done when the recall came out, you benefit from a repair refund if it meets specific repairs described in the recall but that is not written in the warranty. That is typical for the entire automotive industry in the U.S..

Reply to
Leon

Latest on my water heater.

GE is impossible to reach. I tried three different numbers and could never reach a human. There was a "fill in the form" email address on their website, but we all know how most companies answer email complaints.

So I called Home Depot. It wasn't their warranty, but they gave me a phone number for Rheem, who actually made the heater for GE. They did say to call back if that didn't help.

I called Rheem. Spent at least half an hour discussing the situation with a very polite lady who kept insisting my warranty didn't say what it did. Seems they've changed their warranty a few times since my purchase. I kept pointing out that what my warranty said was the pertinent info, I didn't care what the new ones said.

I finally insisted on talking to somebody else. She forwarded my call somewhere and the may who answered, after I explained the situation, said to send him a copy of the plumber's invoice and he'd see what they could cover.

It seems I may (not will, may) actually get reimbursed for the parts eventually. I'll post again when I hear from Rheem.

Reply to
lgb