Re: WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL

You should never follow these links to log into your account and of course never give all the info they want to "verify your account" like your SSN, birthdate, and credit card number. BTW, it isn't just fake eBay emails. I've gotten several different versions, in fact I just got a similar one from a credit card I don't even own, but then when they just blanket the world with these emails they'll miss on some and hit on lots of others.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"T." < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
JOAT writes:

snip
From the syntax, it sounds like our Nigerian buddies are at it again.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
T. wrote:

Why bother, Ebay won't do anything about it. Their customer service is about as useful as AOL's was. They could careless about your problems. Sometimes I think they really don't have any real people working at these places. Just a bunch of mainframes and servers.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote in message (EvoDawg)

I'm impressed that you got though to eBay. I get those fake eBay and fake PayPal emamils from password/account phishers all the time, sometimes several in one week and I long ago gave up on reporting them to PayPal and eBay because they both refused my email.
I even called PayPal, they gave me an email address to send it to and that address refused my email.
I agree that when the good guys quit, the bad guys win. But it is damn frustrating when someone who should be an ally unilaterally capitulates.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net says...

Had the same thing happen to me when I received a similar "Regarding your Account" that purported to be from Bank of America (I don't have, and never did have an account there -- I opened the mail to find filterable material to kill any future spams), asking one to log on and verify numbers -- since I had not yet seen any warnings regarding this, I forwarded to B of A, and got back an e-mail saying they did not accept e-mail with web-bugs. All well and good, but when you are forwarding abuse notices to abuse@ they darn well ought to accept such material since it might actually be important. Sent an e-mail again, sans original material, never did hear back.

(EvoDawg)

EBay and PayPal both sent me an wuto-ignore telling me to use a web-form instead. In both cases the webpage was unavailable.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote in message

It's called "phishing". Check out the Federal Trade Commission's notice: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/07/phishing.htm
Dick Durbin Tallahassee
Bridger wrote:

I use none! I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft themselfs hasn't used this tactic for collecting some interestion information.
For a browser I use Konqueror and sometimes Mozilla
For usenet I use Knode
For email I use Kmail
Rich 8~)
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

EvoDawg wrote:

The only Microsoft code I run is the microcode inside this keyboard. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me some day. :)
Charlie Self wrote:

I'm not aware that he did anything in particular. I'd imagine he yelled and screamed and the vein on his forehead bulged out. I would have been pissed too.

How would I know whether he has his computer up or not? I figure that's between him and the police. They know which account numbers were stolen. It's none of my concern.