Re: view rec.woodworking in a new way

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com says...

Robert,
    Thanks for posting that reminder of the real story behind anon.penet.fi. I remember when those events unfolded. OTOH, there were some hilarious postings of the CoS's chief lawyer (mean-faced, clipped- hair NYU female shyster doesn't begin to describe the pictures).

That's an understatement to say the least.
Thanks for the reminder.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in

Less "revisionist" than "mediocre memory" :-)

It's probably the case that penet was the only anonymizer that stuck around long enough back then that someone not looking for an anonymizer (e.g. me) would see it.
Penet was abused - I'd never have noticed it if it wasn't for the trolls using it. Granted, the trolls posting thru penet didn't stick around long, which both shows that abuse can be controlled and that penet did so (unlike nym.alias.net).

I guess I heard that somewhere along the line, without ever getting the details. I just knew penet went away (and about a year later, a lot of much less well run anonymizers appeared in it's place).
John

Sounds like a scam to collect personal data.
Hmmm - maybe this whole sequence has been a Psychology experiment....

Think I know how the Gorilla's must've felt: "Oh look, Audrey! There she is again, with her damn binoculars. Can't even take a leak in the forest without Ms. Goodall takin' notes!"
Robin Lee wrote:

Or maybe it's all some twisted Kanukistani plot to drum up more business for that two-bit outfit called Lee Valley.

What better than a couple of lynch mob/kidney punchers to explain anon remailers.