Re: Unwanted stain from dark sawdust

> I put a small oak picture frame down on a bench that had a little walnut > sawdust on the surface, and it caused a dark discoloring. Can I get that > out?

Surprised it would actually stain unless one or the other (or both) were awfully damp...but, that aside, a little oxalic acid should do the trick...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Probably not - tannic acid is a very good stain. Might not be too deep, though, so sanding might be an option for you?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Not really. The frame is already stained and I don't think I can match the stain after sanding. Fortunately the discoloration is only on the edge because the frame was standing on edge when it happened.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Since the piece is already stained, anything that would lessen the discoloration from the walnut is likely to lighten the stain as well. I turn walnut on the lathe, and get stained hands. Only things that get it off are bleach and Oxy-Clean.

Reply to
gpdewitt

No - "vandyke crystals" are a well known stain - they're made of walnut husk extract ! You _might_ bleach it out with a hypochlorite bleach (common household bleach), but this is more likely to cause more unevenness than it solves. You can always sand it, if there's suitable access.

I'd make a weak solution of vandyke, or walnut sawdust, in water and stain the rest of the frame to match. It's a close enough colour match that oak shouldn;t look out of place with it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley