Re: tips for kids projects?

About 15 years ago there was a company making kid-friendly woodworking tools - seems that I remember a scroll saw and lathe. Tools were small and plastic, and came with a good supply of balsa blocks and small sheets. They've likely gone the way of others to protect us from ourselves, but it would be worth looking around. They were reasonably priced to start with and I got a bunch when a store went out of business, just for the wood for about a buck apiece. She's old enough to handle a full-sized scroll saw, but may be more comfortable starting with one of the tiny ones and balsa if you can find one. My boy never took to woodworking, but went the way of continuous baseball, which he's still at today, in college. Good luck.

-J Afterthought - consider foam also. Google "hot wire foam cutter". I built a table version from cutoffs, PVC pipe, a 12v transformer, and a light switch. Technique is like a scroll saw, but no moving parts.

My daughter is interested in making dollhouse scale stuff. I've purchased some bags of small craft wood and she's made some tables and chairs, and a bed. I've also taught her how to use the Dremel tool for cutting and sanding. Book shelves have proved tricky for her, but I helped her make a set that aren't totally wonky.

She's 13, and much more skilled at sewing than woodwork. (The bed has nice sheets and pillows, the table has a good table cloth. There's also an abundance of Fimo stuff.) I'm able to make basic stuff at regular size, but I've not had a lot of practice at small stuff or fine detail.

I can find things like this:

And similar crude stuff. Or kits to buy, but I'm looking for something a bit more sophisticated but not a kit.

Ideas?

Elijah

------ doesn't have many clamps suitable for such small scale stuff

Reply to
Joe

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 10:59:23 GMT, Joe a bit more sophisticated but not a kit.

Mostly scaled down tools, but they also sell various kits.

none