RE: Time Will Tell

Having been visited by members of the sticky finger club, I have been without tools for some time.

Made the decision to get at least a battery powered drill.

Last time around it was an 18 VDC DeWalt complete with a couple of batteries and a panel saw as a kit that cost $400-$600.

This time, something for an occasional hole drilling or screw driving will get the job done.

Time to look at Harbor Freight.

Found a 3/8, 900 RPM 18 VDC drill with a charger and one battery for $16.99.

Probably has plastic gears, has only a 90 day guarantee from Harbor Freight, and a charging system that just plain sucks.

It requires 3-5 hours to charge.

It has a red and a green pilot light.

The green light indicates it is connected to shore power.

The red light indicates the battery is being charged.

There is no indication when the battery is recharged.

Plug it in and wait 3-5 hours, that's it.

Assuming that the drill will perform, a work around exists for a charging system.

Buy a 2nd drill.

You now have two (2) batteries (NiCad), a back up charger, and a 2nd drill which is always handy.

Best of all, you have less than $40 invested.

Not a bad deal, if it works.

Time will tell.

Lew

power is connected

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I started writing about my experience buying HF cordless drills until I realized how dumb I looked getting suckered more than once. The drills are virtually indestructible and as strong as needed for drilling, driving and trailer jack power. However the batt4ry chargers are the worst available for any tool. Absolutely worthless. They burn out faster than a light bulb in a rock tumbler. The chargers are junk and have no fuse to replace when they burn out. The best bang for the buck is Ryobi with Lithium batteries for under $100.

Reply to
JohnnyDollar

$69 on sale a couple of times a year with 2 batteries. Yep, a pretty good buy. While not the best batteries, they are pretty good. Not pro rated, but I have seen many pros using them as they are cheap, and can replace the batteries inexpensively.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'm going to have to make a decision in a couple of months. I have a Panasonic 15.6V that I really like. Nice size and enough power for anything I do. The batteries, however, are starting to lose charge fast.

My options: Brand new drill kit with 2 batteries and charger is $190

Panasonic batteries are $195 for two

Expert Power batteries are $102 for two. (I'm leaning this way)

Rebuild both batteries for $130

All the options cost more than the Ryobi, but I really like the weight and balance of the Panasonic. I have an 18V Porter Cable, but it is my second choice when I grab a drill.

I also use a Bosch quick change chuck in both of them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think that's the one someone bought me for a wedding present. It is better at drilling than driving (screws). I know that YOU, of all people, are familiar with the expression which equates to the fact that you get what you pay for... I wish you luck with it!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:543b3110$0$1593 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I use timers on my NiCd battery chargers. In the 3-5 hours it takes to charge a battery, I've usually forgotten about the battery being charged. Some timers are easy to set up to only shut off, while others require surgery. (The ones with the pins are super easy. Just remove the 'on' pin.)

There are some chargers out there, though, that will discharge a battery if left "unplugged" with the battery in. It's always a good idea to remove the battery after it's done charging even if you aren't going to use it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If that is a constant problem, get some spray paint and give all your tools the most garish, butt-ugly paint job you can think of. Either people will stop borrowing your tools, or they will return them just to relieve their eyes, or you will be able to spot your tools among theirs from a mile away.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I had a Panasonic way back when, early 90's. The only drill that I have liked better is the Festool T15. Yes it is expensive but the T15-3 kit comes with well designed attachments and believe it or not I pretty much have not used my 12 volt Makita or 18 volt Bosch impact drivers since getting the Festool Drill driver.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, I can believe you; nice looking tool. Most of u really don't need the 18V and more that just adds weight for driving a #6 x 1 1/4" screw.

Maybe some day. I can keep the Panasonic going for $100 versus $500 for the Festool. If I used it two hours or more a day I'd go for it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I use a corded 3/8 variable speed for sanding the inside of bowls. I try to keep the dust blown out of it but in the last 14 years I have gone through two DeWalts and a BD. In all of them the switch failed, and a new switch costs nearly as much as another drill. This time I got a HF for $12. The cord is stiffer than a DeWalt but otherwise it works well. As you say, time will tell.

Reply to
G. Ross

Then people will just think they're Ryobi or Panasonic. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Lew, I bought one of the Rybobi kits for $99 at a Father's Day sale after t alking to my electrician. He swears by the Ryobis. They last him about 3 y ears of daily use (he does use the crap out of them!) and then something go es wrong. He tosses the drill in the garbage and buys another. He was so keen on them being solid performers I had to try them out as the drill kit I really wanted was $300, but I didn't want to spend the money.

So far, so good. I go a drill that has done everything I need it to do (re ally... even as a contractor I don't need to drive a couple of hundred 3" s crews into kiln dried oak) for my normal repair work. The impact driver ha s been a great surprise. I don't use it often, but it is a slick little to ol. I drove several 3" deck screws into hard yellow pine (no pilot holes)a nd it worked like a champ! Honestly, I didn't think it would do the job,bu t after about 25, the driver wasn't breathing hard.

Battery life is very good, the do indeed charge in an hour, and replacement batteries are only $39. So for two tools, two batteries, a charger and a carry case, I am thinking at this point after a few months of use that my e lectrician could be on to something. That and the fact they have a 3 year limited warranty.

I have a fella that used to work for me that has retired and is on a very t ight budget. He bought one or the other of the HF cordless drills and he r eally likes it. The only draw back for him was his came with one battery, and took all of the 4 hours he allotted to recharge. He said the battery l ife is pretty good, but since batteries are about $19 at HF, he told me tha t he was buying another battery if he starts a larger home project. Until then, the said the HF fills the bill for a few screws and holes now and the n, so he is pretty happy with his purchase.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ While cost is an issue, staying with your beloved Panasonic is what is driving your evaluation process.

Since you will be paying a price premium regardless of your decision, buying a new drill for $190 offers you several added benefits, especially if the new batteries are L-Ion.

You will be able to get "drill" and "drive" dedicated units, no quick change chuck req'd.

You get a back up charger.

Most of all, you will be happy staying with a unit you like.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------------------------------------- Abrasive dust and electric devices just don't coexist very well.

When I was fairing out the boat hull, generated lots of fairing putty dust which is very abrasive.

The only way to keep the sander/polisher units running was to spend about 5-10 minutes at the end of the day with a blow gun blowing the dust out of all the cavities of the sander/polisher.

Even with that maintenance routine, Milwaukee was the only one that survived.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have a fella that used to work for me that has retired and is on a very tight budget. He bought one or the other of the HF cordless drills and he really likes it. The only draw back for him was his came with one battery, and took all of the 4 hours he allotted to recharge. He said the battery life is pretty good, but since batteries are about $19 at HF, he told me that he was buying another battery if he starts a larger home project. Until then, the said the HF fills the bill for a few screws and holes now and then, so he is pretty happy with his purchase.

That pretty well describes my situation today.

Just need to be able to drill/screw a couple of pieces now and then.

Was able to buy a complete drill with battery and charger for $16.99.

A spare battery was $12-$13 so I just bought a 2nd drill for another $16.99 instead.

So for less than $40.00 which includes sales tax, got two (2) complete systems.

Now if the stuff holds together, I'm good to go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had to chuckle when I read that. An excellent idea! From time to time I actually use two drills during an operation such as drilling holes and imm ediately driving in screws. Or drilling holes then running in the counter sink. A great time to have two drills!

So good sir, for $40 you are set!

I do hope you use them for a few months and let the rest of us know how you like them. A drill like that would be perfect for my brother in law. He bought a DeWalt 18v years ago after talking to me about cordless drills, bu t after about 5 years of sitting in his garage having been used (literally) for a couple of drilled holes and the couple of screws that went in said h oles, the batteries won't hold a charge. Since the official DeWalt battery for his drill is $90 for one, he won't bite on a battery. So the drill si t unused, worthless.

A drill like one of those HF models would make and excellent replacement fo r the DeWalt. He and my sister just bought a small piece of land and it ha s a really small cabin on it that he has plans for repairs and remodeling.. . with no electricity up there and the need for only occasional use the HF could be the ticket...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

for the DeWalt. He and my sister just bought a small piece of land and it has a really small cabin on it that he has plans for repairs and remodeling ... with no electricity up there and the need for only occasional use the H F could be the ticket...

PrimeCell will rebuild the DeWalt battery for less than $48.

Reply to
brian

------------------------------------------------------ SFWIW, got a flyer from HD indicating that for the next week, this drill is $14.99.

While in the process of getting a drill, also needed some drill bits.

Gone are the days when I needed full sets of number drills, fractional drills and brad point drills. Now all I need is something to meet my DIY needs and a way to store them away.

To that extent, Ryobi/Home Depot offered the following:

Somebody had done the marketing about as well as it can be done.

Multiple copies of the popular sizes, a full range of sizes from

1/16" thru 1/2" with a step down shaft to 3/8" for the 1/2" drill, and a well built non metallic drill index storage.

Price: $11.00.

The only draw back is these are black oxide drills.

Not something I would expect to be able to use on a daily basis, but I no longer need that kind of performance.

If I do a project that requires high usage of a

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Opps, hit the wrong key.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------- If I do a project that requires high usage of a particular size, there is always Grainger down the street.

Again, time will tell.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Go anywhere but Primecell. They only have a pro rated 90 day warranty. And yes they stung me.

Reply to
Leon