Re: Ticked at Rockler

Dear Kevin,
I'm excited that you went to visit our new store in Pittsburgh, but am sorry we aren't open yet. We made a mistake on our website - that store page was not supposed to be active yet. Please accept my apologies for wasting your time.
I hope you enjoy the store when it's open. If you sign up for the store's e-mail notification list ( http://www.rockler.com/retail/e_news.cfm?&store1 ) the store manager will send you an e-mail as soon as it is open.
Scott Ekman Rockler Internet Director

Scott,
Thanks for your response. I signed up, and I'm anxiously awaiting the opening of the new store.
Congrats on the growth of your company, despite the state of the economy.
Kevin

snipped-for-privacy@woodworking.com (Scott Ekman) wrote in

I sure hope you are going to open a new store on Rt 17 in Paramus, NJ soon. Not that I hate to go visit my son in Cambridge, MA, but it really is too far if I just need a few things from the Rockler store on Massachusetts Ave.
FYI, I heard that the Gateway store on Rt 17 in Paramus, NJ may be closing. It is a great location!
(Note: this is really April 2, it's no April fools joke!)
--
Best regards
Han
On 1 Apr 2004 15:09:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@woodworking.com (Scott Ekman) wrote:

I addition to that, I placed an order via their online catalog on Saturday, and received everything ordered (including a couple of obscure hardware items) on the Friday following, all for the nominal shipping cost of $8.99, which would have remained the same had I ordered almost $40 more in merchandise, and which included a box more than 4 feet long. The only reason I'll go to the store, which is a long way off, through very heavy traffic, is to fondle ...err, handle the products before purchasing.
This is not my first order from Rockler, but it is another example of the very satisfactory service I've received every time I've had the pleasure to do business with them. Since I moved to Pennsylvania, I've been diligently seeking replacements for all the stores I frequented in Dallas, and it's comforting to know that I'll soon have a Rockler store nearby. It's one less change I'll have to endure up here in Yankeeland.
Now, where to buy maple, and how come there's no good chili?
Kevin

Had contractors from New England states visit Southern California for years and invariably the first thing they wanted to know "Where is the nearest Mexican restaraunt?" and usually invited me (thankfully). I reciprocated by taking chicken lobsters and frozen scallops home when visiting their stites. Spent a month outside Boston during a glut of chicken lobsters when dinners were less than $5.00 for a chicken and salad. Less than 20 years ago to put it in context timewise.
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:25:18 -0500, "Kevin Singleton"

I'm a mile and a half away from the Beaver Valley Mall, home to the infamous Chi Chi's of Hepatitis A fame. I've yet to find quality home-cooked Mexican food, but there are some very interesting attempts at bringing the cuisine to Pennsylvania, and I'm sure it won't be long before we have a large enough Latino population to force the grocery stores to commit more than a few shelf feet to chile peppers and masa. I haven't made it to New England, yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. Pennsylvania is a big change in lifestyle, for me, and, so far, every day is a new adventure, whether it's hunting for chili without beans, or finding out what you have to go through to buy a decent over-under 12 gauge.
What's a chicken lobster? Let me guess: it tastes just like ...!!!
Kevin

Lobster about 1-1.5#, little fellers. I find them tastier than the brutes.
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 09:14:42 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"

I guess I've never seen a lobster larger than about 2 lbs. I need to get up to where they catch the little beggars, and have a few!
Kevin

On one of the trips to Bahston a fellow went with me that we referred to as "The gentle giant" which was an apt description. About as broad as he was tall, from Hawiian Islands and weighed probably better that 300#. On the way to the airport I bought a few chicken lobsters and he got his counterpart, a giant lobster. He had to rent a pot big enough to boil it. He made the mistake of letting the lobster see the boiling water prior to going in so it spread its legs wide enough where it couldn't go in head first. In desparation he reversed orientation and dropped it in tail first. I do NOT miss the frequent travel from So. Calif. coast to Bahston that I endured for 22+ years!
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:17:16 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"

Chicken lobsters are the small ones, barely legal to catch.
I'm originally from PA and moved to CT about 23 years ago. It was a change in cuisine and I learned to make a lot of things that I took for granted before. In or town you could not buy a decent loaf of crusty bread or roll, deli sandwiches were not like from any Philadelphia or New York deli I ever went to. Here they do have a good white chowder and you can get good Fish & Chips anywhere. Since I'm near the state line, Rhode Island chowder is readily available also. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
We're starving for Mexican food, chili without beans, and chicken-fried steak. There's lots of Italian food, though, and the hoagies. There are some small towns that have more pizza shops than houses, and almost everywhere serves liquor. That's a big change from Texas, where some parts of town are "dry", and you have to have a membership to buy liquor by the drink.
What's Rhode Island chowder? I've never heard of that.
Kevin