Re: Throwing Out Saw Dust

Greetings:

> > > How do you dispose of the saw dust that has filled up the lower bag of your > > dust collector. This would be first time I have had to empty my lower bag. > > This is kind of out there, but... > > Urinate in it for a while and then throw it into the compost pile. > > ... > > Exactly how? All you do is take a 5 gallon plastic bucket and throw > in five or six handfuls of sawdust to cover the bottom. At this > point, you're ready to go.

Literally, it would seem.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I don't need to go to all that trouble. I just dump it outside and our cats urinate in it. Saves effort.

Last week I saw a red fox, raccoon, skunk and porcupine all checking out the sawdust pile...at different times.

Phil

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Reply to
PC

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in news:DCJQa.23562$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

I am in "termite" world. I have not yet found any termites around my large sawdust piles, YET, BUT I have just noticed a fairly large type of ant, that has been cutting trails in it and carrying the stuff, and putting it under various things. Appears their building "nests". I had a sheet of plastic that blew off a stack of firewood during a windstorm, and they had moved lot's of sawdust and chips under it from the piles. There were thousands upon thousands of them under this black plastic sheet, and there were many eggs under this large plastic sheet. I have found this same thing under older lawnmowers I have parked 75 ft. away, and ant trails leading all over the place. I read a thread here this week or last about carpenter ants. I wonder if these ants around my sawdust piles are infact these carpenter ants. If so, I am going to have to do something about them, because from what I have read here, they are as bad as termites. The sawdust is a long way from the house, but there are zillions of these ants on the property where I have these large sawdust piles from the shop and milled logs. Ant trails going every which place.(the trails are made of the sawdust/chips) I do not know if the sawdust "attracted" them, or they have always been around in smaller numbers and the sawdust has been benifical to their proliferation. It appears as the later, as it is good bedding and insulation for their eggs/nests. I had a few scraps of pine lumber in the area lying on the ground, and they were under it as well, and they did "eat" off the moist side of these scrap boards. They crawl onto "intruders" and bite also. I have noticed when piling up the dust into piles, even in this humid and wet southern appalachia area, the piles do not compost fast. I have piles that have been there for years and are still not composted. If I layer the sawdust/chips with dirt it does compost very quickly.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

Oh boy. Watch out for mange. Wild creatures may seem cute, but a lot of 'em are mangy, and the mites can be picked up easily by our domestics.

Reply to
George