Re: This Old Kitchen - Remodel Part 3 - Actual Cabinet Installation

Swingman wrote in news:UNednS6dmpqzxQrQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Fantastic!! I love the look of the kitchen. As you said, it's not your kitchen, and certainly it isn't ours, but it looksa great.

Reply to
Han

Hey.. I'm waiting for some laminate from Temple TX..for real...lol At least I'm not waiting for anything out of Quebec.

When all done, do a study on T & M and margins hoped for... then next time add $ 20,000. That quality of kitchen puts it in the premium range and should fetch a premium.... above the normal returns. I am sure you are aware that the client must be made to understand that while you're working on his/her project, you're not maxing out earning potential on another gig. You just can't keep playing for scale when you're on the charts. IYKWIM.

Simple. You sell that $50K kitchen for $65K next time.

I have NO idea how the numbers fell on this gig, and it isn't any of my business. I do hope there is some coin left after all the hours, overhead, profit margins, material costs, labour and design time

Reply to
Robatoy

> In photo 24, do you waterproof the area that bucket inhabits?

Laminate ... I'll shoot a picture next week.

? According to my count, 61 is a stack of wall cabinet shelves.

It is quicker/more efficient to wrap the cabinets to prime and paint the walls than to schedule/reschedule painters; no sense in putting paint where not necessary; as a rule, I want to see painters as few times as possible. :)

$20k of cork flooring; layer of 6 mil poly (taped); layer of card board (butt taped); layer of 1/4 sanded pine plywood (butt taped); overkill, but, after all, it is the death penalty for any sub who farks with it ...

6 burner, Capital Precision 48" ... and does that thing put out the btu's.

There is t-shaped plastic strip that fits the 1/16" gap on either side. The BB needs to be removable for future replacement/maintenance.

LED strips under the peninsula/bar cabinet.

Reply to
Swingman

John Boos makes some the best BB's around, at about $700/pop. Although, at the client's request, I had to shave off their (burned in) logo.

Thanks, Lee ... Leon shares equal billing, as usual.

Reply to
Swingman

Thank you, Han!

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:v-

2dnRgw062bAArQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

One question, if I may, Karl. I am looking for LED strip lighting to put over my kitchen counter, under the upper cabinets. I haven't found anything that puts out enough light and is affordable for a retiree . What exactly did you use for that great and funky under-peninsula lighting?

Reply to
Han

ROTFL ... Go Farking Figure!

Hell, I could drive to Temple, get the laminate, and be back for lunch! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Swingman

LED technology is getting better, and MUCH brighter, literally on a monthly basis.

Under-peninsula lighting in question is strip LED which can be cut to fit. I will get you the exact make and model on Monday when I get back to the site.

All over-cabinet is T5 fluorescent for the light color and temp value (I prefer the LED, but not my call, as the color blind contractor who colored his coloring book grass pink until he learned to read the crayons)

Reply to
Swingman

Very nice work indeed. I, for one, would like to see your cabinet design. Is it importable somewhere?

Reply to
krw

Swingman wrote in news:NIudnf0zsLzIPwrQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks, Karl! I know about colour blindness from relatives through marriage - not good for electricians ...

Reply to
Han

This is the stuff I'm waiting for:

'm using it to make some panels to line an elevator. The previous owner had the work performed by someone who didn't know his ass from his elbow when it came to laminate. No backer sheet on the panels and on cheap plywood to boot=97just not done. Anyway, a job for an architect friend, he throws me work. You know the politics. Seems that nobody hears me when I say: "RETIRED!!!" WTF is wrong with people? Yes, I'm working every day...but on a job for ME! So these elevator panels HAD to be the no-scuff stuff... Wilsonart Canada was out of stock, so we wait till they have a truckload to bring up.... and that ain't happenin' till after they run that colour again. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Off to see some friends, Ang has her bottle of merlot to pass around, I'm sticking to Erdinger Weiss.

Reply to
Robatoy

Made it easy for you ... below is a Google 3D Warehouse link to an actual working model, specifically for design approval, of the subject kitchen during the design phase, in toto.

CAVEAT: Not necessarily the individual cabinet components "as built", but close enough, although some are embedded and due to component straits may not export gracefully individually, but you should be able to get an idea.

If you have any problems downloading, let me know.

Swingman

RE: Subject

As always, NEAT.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

These are comparatively cheap at $25 a pop, and it looks like they use the old, discrete LEDs instead of the high-intensity Luxeon bulbs.

$20, chainable.
is your friend, Han.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>>> In photo 24, do you waterproof the area that bucket inhabits?

Bueno.

I call rollout shelves "drawers", if that's what they are.

It just seems so wrong to me. I'd go the extra $50 in paint in my kitchen and do it myself, jus'cuz.

Holy Chit, Batman!

In two, distinct rings of flame per burner. Are those extra (thermostatic?) controls for the oven and broiler? My old DeVille stove (ca '40s) had a separate broiler with adjustable height, a thermostatically controlled burner, and a stainless griddle.

glass shelf in down position. I think I'd like the Capital Precision stove better, but it likely cost more than the $35 I gave for the old O'Keefe.

I've been looking for those. Silicone or plastic?

It begs the question "WHY?" Oh, to show off the cork floor?

Can't wait for next week's episode when you realize that you lost $12,672.31 on it. (sorry, de Debil made me do it)

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, you old semi-retired fart. If you're not fully retired, then that's your fault. Shouldn't you have been grooming an up and coming apprentice all these years to take over for you when you're ready to give up the reins? Instead, you sold the business off lock, stock and barrel and then realized somewhere along the line that you'd actually been having fun all these years, so you've acceeded to the continued cries for your expertise.

Like I said, it's all your fault. We should all suffer from similar demands on our time.

Reply to
Upscale

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, Larry.

In this case, Google isn't really my friend because I find it very difficult to estimate from the descriptions the dimensions, light output, ability to daisy chain and connect/switch them gadgets.

But those links give me some guidance to go to Lowe's or HD and look at the things.

Reply to
Han

Thanks! I will have a good look (and steal what I need to). ;-)

You mentioned that you left 1/8" reveal between drawers and doors, but were adjusting this (IIRC). How? What do you do at the cabinet ends? Offset that side to the edge of the cabinet? I guess I'll see when I look at the Sketchup files. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Those cabinets with exposed end panels and/or bottoms, and with nothing adjacent or below, the doors/drawer fronts are usually left flush with that exposed end and/or bottom.

Nothing hard or fast though, just a personal preference of the designer/client.

You're welcome ...

Reply to
Swingman