Re: The Wreck only big enough for one Dave....not BAD

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:08:20 -0400, Mike Patterson

It's not "other people". It's him with different pseudonyms. He's quite ill, and needs help. Feel sorry for him, but don't reply to any of his posts. You'll just make him worse.
Dan.

It wasn't me. I post through supernews, not dizum.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

Yeah I see that.... He spelled your name differently also.

Keep following... There's some dork who's getting his jollies.
Check the headers. If you see a post under anyone's name you recognize, but think is way out of character or is using particularly foul language, see if the post is coming from dizum.com.
I post from supernews, or on occasion, shaw.ca.
If you set your filters to kill anything originating from dizum.com, you'll eliminate the brain-dead adolescent who gets its jollies by posting such garbage. I didn't even know about the post until others here brought it to my attention due to my kill filters.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

-snip-
By far, the best way to accomplish that mission is to totally, completely ignore them. And I mean treat them like they don't exist. No acknowledgement, no replys, no reference to them in any way, shape, or form in any message at all.
The posters of such garbage feed on the reaction they get. No reaction means no thrill. It may take a while, but eventually they will disappear into other realms. In contrast to what a very wise man once said, in this particular case, for good to prevail, it is quite sufficient for good men to do nothing.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

That's well and good when they're posting under anonymous aliases, but when they start using real names of real posters something has to be said.
Regardless of whose name.
IAC, I reported it to dizum.com but I have no faith whatsoever that they have any interest in dealing with it. The next step will be a conversation with Supernews, requesting that they blacklist the entire dizum domain. As Supernews is a major feed to major ISPs, this would have the desired effect.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 07:21:35 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Dave, I sympathize with your plight, but must, respectfully, disagree with the solution. As you say, I doubt that dizum.com will take any action. Blacklisting dizum might - repeat, _might_ - be a case of overkill - I don't know who else might use that service for other, less nefarious purposes. I see no personal need for an anonymous remailer, but others might have a legitimate need. In any event, these lowlife bottom feeders thrive on attention - any attention, negative or positive, is good in their sight.
But, reasonable people can disagree reasonably. My seconds will call on you shortly. Marshmallows at 50 paces ok with you? ;)
FWIW, I use Agent as my news reader and don't know if it occurs with other readers or not, but every post I see from the "impersonators" has a bordered message imbedded at the beginning of the message that says something to the effect that the message is the content of an email. As a result, there is no mistaking when I'm looking at a "dizum" message. I mention this to reassure you (and anyone else that is or will be victimized by the maggot infested) that there is no question about differentiating the valid and counterfeit posts (for me at least). BTW, I've searched the Agent help and there doesn't seem to be any way of creating a kill filter on anything other that the Author and/or Subject fields. "Author" seems to kill the valid posts as well as the counterfeit. And who knows what the subject might be. Anybody know how to filter or "auto-kill" messages in Agent based on the originating domain?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Sure, come on over... Tonight we're doing the first MM roast of the season. Reminds me, I have to go out and split some firewood.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

Tom, I've been an Agent user since there was an Agent, and this is the first time I've tried using a domain name as a filter. Agent don't do dat. :(
I may have to change newsreaders. Bummer. I love everything else about this program.
Michael
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:02:04 GMT, Michael Baglio

sure it does mike. when you right click and hit filter then add kill filter then just cut out everything exept the @whatever.com and hit delete or mark read and global if you wish. that blocks all from that domain. but be carefull when you do it as someone you may want to keep may be posting from the same domain.
skeez

Michael,
Rather than abandon Agent, and have to climb a new learning curve, I went to Robert Bonomi's web site and got a copy of NFilter (now called News Proxy) and installed it. All I had to do was copy the name of the news server from the Agent configuration to the NFilter config and then change the entry in Agent to "localhost". He also has a pretty comprehensive list of filter entries available for download. The site is http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking/ (hope you don't mind the reference, Robert.).
I'll probably continue to use the native Agent filtering for subject and author filters and thread ignores since they are so easy to create and use the News Proxy dat file for the fancy stuff.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Dear Tom,

Actually it was closer to,
"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing"
I believe it was written by a newspaper man in the 40's in reference to the rise of Nazi'ism in Germany.
I really like that line.
David.
Actually a quick google search reveals that the quotation is attributed to Edmund Burke, Edmund Burke (1729-1797). British statesman, parliamentary orator and political thinker, played a prominent part in all major political issues for about 30 years after 1765, and remained an important figure in the history of political theory.

Yep, that's the quote I was intending to paraphrase. Maybe I should have clarified my intent.
I agree with the author in the vast majority of situations. However in this specific case, where, I believe, the intent is to cause disruption, doing absolutely nothing will deny the maggot eaters their desired effect.
Thanks for the quote.
wrote:

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Thanks for the reminder. Am dropping your "A Star is Born" CD in the mail tonight. Send back my "Believe" when you get a chance. Luv ya'! XXXOOO

I actually had an abba LP once, long ago. I don't remember how I got it- I think it was in a yard sale box or something. I think I even listened to it once....

Not a chance, baby. Plus, that's way too new for me. I'm old school when it comes to Babs - Second Hand Rose, He Touched Me, People, Among My Souvenirs, etc... now that's my idea of entertainment.
O'Deen - who not only knows the tunes Scott C. has sung, but could tell you the keys, the usual cuts and that there is no show less deserving of all its written encores than, "Girl Crazy." Additionally, that most musical theatre choreographers think that tempo is a bad Ford product, that stage directors think that singing-on-key is a Chinese laundry, and very quickly... how can you tell a soprano is at your door? She can't find the key and doesn't know when to come in.

I only sing them in the shower - I'm the guy at the piano for the local community theater productions, more often than not, all by my lonesome. So you might say I know the score on all of your points above - but I have to partly disagree on the "Girl Crazy" thing. Stupid show, but there is no such thing as too much Gershwin.
Q: What's the best way to confuse a drummer? A: Put a sheet of music in front of him.
Scott, who don't transpose for nobody.

Q: How do you know the stage is level? A: The drool runs out both corners of the drummer's mouth.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

Hung jury? It's simply a design defect PC built into the fence to avoid Black and Decker suing their ass off. Our resident expert, Fly By Night Copper Co., has said recently its been fixed with the Type 3.
I still use my friend's Type 2, and just allow for the gap with the depth adjusters. It's still perfectly usable.
Joe