Re: The Soft Wreck ?

Page 1 of 4
Yeah. A totally sterile with out compassion and with out personality news group. Naw, I'll pass.
Bob Schmall states:

That's true, but why does he use this group as his 'founding' excuse/alibi/rationale?
You'd think that if things here bothered him as much as his proposal says, he'd have popped up somewhere complaining about them. The only reference I could find was his application for a new group.
Sort of like the '60s, "What If They Gave A War And Nobody Came?"
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Who cares?

Bob Alfred North Whitehead: There are no whole truths; all truths are half truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil.

Well, not quite nobody. This could be a place where he and Cody Hart will have their own world free of slanderous remarks :)
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:07:52 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

Maybe Cody Hart is one of the proposed moderators...in drag?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Do you guys remember a troll threatening to do exactly this, not so long ago? It's not worth a response really, if it had been someone who was serious about it, they'd be answering some of the comments..
--
Greg

"LRod" < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com> wrote in message

The proponent has been actively participating in the news.groups discussion about the proposal..at least recently. He seems to be pretty serious. After all, he did created a website for the proposed newsgroup. He posted it this morning..
http://softwreck.piranho.com
--
Bill

But still has not responded to questions about the qualifications of the two proposed moderators, and has declined to identify an anonymous "backup moderator".
That's the weakest part of the proposal right now, IMO. If noboody has confidence in the moderators, why would they vote for the proposal?
While I'm not inherently opposed to a moderated group being established (though I think it will rapidly fall flat on its face) if there are no qualified moderators added to the RFD then I will vote "No" should it actually come to a vote.
djb

Interesting, looking at the pictures, looks like someone and his secretary proposing this.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

For somebody who says that they are against "drivel" they don't seem to have a problem with hijacking my browser to a different site when I load their page. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I think that is a pop-up by the free hosting provider. There is nothing in the HTML source to indicate that Vito or Susan are responsible for the pop- up. They would be better off looking for a web host with no forced advertising.
--
Bill

Must be, as I didn't see it when checking out their site. My browser blocks popups.
djb

Dave, please don't misread my position. Speaking as both a part-time wrecker and a news.groups regular, I'm trying to stay as objective as possible until I see a final proposal. Since I would never read a moderated group, I am certain that there will not be a "yes" vote with my name on it for the soft wreck. Depending on how the proponent handles the second RFD (if he does the right thing) will be tie-breaker as to whether I vote "abstain" or "no".
There could be one benefit of passing this group..the prudes and nannies would have another woodworking group to use. Remember BAD's attempted (but unsuccessful) little smear campaign against Charlie for using a "bad word"? That was pathetic. It might be better to isolate sensitive little girls like that from the men. Who knows! Like someone around here says..It will all be over someday!
--
Bill

I don't think I'm misreading you, and I recognize and appreciate your efforts to stay objective. I'm looking forward to a second RFD also.

I started out adamantly opposed to the creation of a moderated woodwrecking group, but after all the discussion over the past 5 days, have softened somewhat.
Like you, I can't see voting "yes". If the proponents of the new group address the concerns I have regarding moderation, however, I'm thinking they can avoid a "no" vote with my name on it. I'm still undecided as to whether I'd vote "abstain" or not, although it remains a strong possibility.
Also like you, I can see a side benefit to the creation of the moderated group in that a reply of "If you don't like it here, go to rec.woodworking.moderated" would be an effective way to get rid of the whiners.
The only problem with the proposal at this point, objectively, is the reliability of the moderators. I don't believe they will be able to effectively address that (my opinion only) and as a result believe the proposal will fail.
But if it fails, it should fail on merit and nothing else.
No matter what happens, rec.woodworking will not be affected by this proposal.

Agreed. Long live the wreck!
--
Bill

just an observation from there site, they give no qualifications or experience in woodworking, no pictures of projects they've made, or how long they have been doing it etc. also nether of them really strike me as wood workers, I could be wrong but the pics are of two people sitting in front of computers, one in a wheelchair, don't get me wrong people with disabilities are capable woodworkers, the greatest bird house I have ever seen was made by a man in his 70's the was completely blind, so far nothing about them makes me believe there woodworkers, but if they want to be net nanny's and have the own little group good for them! it's what America is all about! Woodchuck Bill wrote:

From what I've seen, a complaint posted here is more of a RFA (Request For Abuse). I have more respect for the OP for making a positive step toward a group narrowly focused on woodworking than if he just whined about the crap that ends up here. I cannot remember any complaints that generated improvements in the quality of discussion.
I can deal with the problems of the current group but it does get tiresome. I usually kill the threads that have degenerated into flame wars. I also kill any thread that lasts more than 10-12 posts since it will be hopelessly OT by that point. There are a few web sites that have moderated woodworking discussions, but I find them to be slow and awkward to navigate compared to using a good news reader like Agent. I'd like to give a moderated woodworking group a try. Nobody is suggesting that his group be abolished, only that another option be made available.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

You waited until this thread had 75 posts before you replied. ;-)
--
Bill

I missed the first 60 or so... Working too much overtime.

Then you should make sure you read the RFP on news.groups and decide whether this specific proposal fits your ideas of what that group should be.
I still have several problems with the proposal that have not been addressed byt the proponent/proposed moderator. Until those are answered satisfactorily on *news.groups* I don't see the proposal even going to a vote, never mind passing.
If it does go to a vote without answers, I will vote no. If the answers are given, I may or may not vote.