RE: THe Miracle Cleaner

Since there was a recent thread about kerosene, et al, lamps, this popped up on another list and on topic.
Enjoy.
Lew --------------------------------------------------------------------- No, this is not spam, its boat related. For Halloween, I took an oil lantern off my boat to illuminate one of the tables of goodies by a driveway bonfire we have hosted the last couple of years.
I cranked the wick out to get the brightest flame possible, and at the end of the night the inside of the lens was completely coated in soot.
Today I got around to cleaning it before taking it back to the boat.
I went through an array of typical glass cleaners and none took off the most stubborn soot.
Then I remembered the miracle cleaner for the residue left by adhesive labels: PEANUT BUTTER.
Sure enough, peanut butter cleans off that suborn soot off of a lamp lens, as well has the soot impregnated in my hands from the cleaning operations (and now my hands are silky smooth).
Peanut Butter, the miracle cleaner.
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:54:55 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Reminds me of the time that the son of a friend was shelling black walnuts and stained his hands. His father and I both told him it'd just have to wear off. An hour or so later he came into the room with clean hands. When we asked him how he got it off he said "Purify mouthwash".
Neither of us will ever put that stuff in our mouth again!
carrying a cross.

Vegetable oil is a good substitute for hand cleaner. Scrub in until the paint, grease, whatever, is loosened, then finish with soap and water.
Father Haskell wrote:

Easier than Rosonal Lighter Fluid? PB would seem to create a mess of it's own. I was so happy when someone introduced me to the lighter fluid approach. As a kid, my dad handed me a razor blade and said "Here, scrape at this (on the inside of the windshield) for a while". A razor blade, Windex, and paper towels--you thought you had it tough...lol! : )

Or its cheaper generic, naptha. Usually keep a quart handy for wet sanding and cleanup.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:32:18 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell

That might depend on how much you value your liver. PB creates more of a mess than just the oil.

It's a choice between cirrhosis from the naptha or liver cancer from aflatoxin-tainted peanuts.
On 11/19/12 8:24 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

Yes, it's the oil in the peanut butter. Skip the Jiffy and go straight to the Crisco.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/19/12 9:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Darn... major fail. How could I miss, "Skip the Skippy?" :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 11/19/2012 9:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

You're getting senile. Go change your diaper. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Only problem is the smell and you need HOT soapy water to finish it off.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 23:25:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On 11/19/12 10:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't know if there's anything wrong with lamp oil other than... who has it? I would venture a guess that there are 100 houses with both peanut butter and cooking oil in them to every 1 that has lamp oil... and even then, only 1 in 10 of those have a resident who know what it is. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 11/19/12 10:53 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I know. If they have a lamp, they probably have the oil. :-p
--

-MIKE-

- so I'm sure HE had lamp oil - yet he used PEANUT BUTTER.