Re: The Glue-Up Monster

Anyone else?

I don't dare involve my wife in glue-ups. I tell her to steer clear if she hears me shout "I'm glueing". The Titebond Extend glue helped me get through some rather large glue ups by my self.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Get's a bit heated at my house also during even simple glue ups, I think a check list on the wall just before being done would help too. I always forget to check square in one direction of another too.

David Marks uses the plastic resin glue a great deal in his woodworks show for the up to 1 hour open time. Although you have to leave the parts in the clamps for 24 hours, I am going to buy some for the extra peace of mind tomorrow while I get a couple of pipe unions to extend some pipe clamps for a curio carase I am having trouble gluing up.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Few of us could provide better advice. When you do a dry fit and test you will have all of your materials and clamps at hand. The procedure is in you mind.

Your next step, especially with more challenging assemblies, is just to focus on the task. If you have a phone in the shop, temporarily disable it. If your wife isn't helping you, let here know you will be occupied with a glue up. My wife has helped with several and understands completely.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

RonB wrote:snip_ If you have a phone in the shop, temporarily disable it. _snip. Seems it never fails to ring during a glue-up! Tom

Reply to
tom

AFAIK, so will yellow glue. But maybe less.

For a long open time, there's always hide glue.

Reply to
lgb

So? you don't have to answer the phone. I told my in-laws that I answer the phone only when I want to and never when it is inconvenient. Seems they, like many people, think that answering the phone is mandatory. Hell, I also believe than answering the door bell is optional.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I like the AFAIK. In tables of glue properties, I have never seen in included for yellow (carpenters) glue, only white (polyvinyl) glue. I have never had a yellow glue joint creep, break if poorly glued or break the other wood near the joint, but never creep. Oh, the other big think is yellow glue sands well, white doesn't,

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Nice drive-by gloat - in one shot I counted no fewer than 16 K-bodies!

Reply to
Tim and Steph