Re: tail/end vise question

2fatty wrote:

The twin screws end vise really only adds two capabilities over a single screw end vise - the ability to hold a wider (up to a bit over 16") piece vertical between the screws - say for cutting dovetails - two end point clamping of wider pieces - straight or curved imagine clamping a round table top or the like -two bench dogs in the bench top and two in the twin screw jaw - though that could be done with two single screws
The twin screw will also allow for clamping tapered parts since the chain drive can be disconnected to allow slanting the jaws, but a shoulder vise does that and does it easier.
The twin screw vise has some drawbacks - specifically the damn handles. Though they can be fairly easily removed once you've got the piece clamped up, so you can get close to the work, you now have two handles to keep track of and they tend to wander off and hide if you don't corral them, In their fixed, cranking position, they can extend above the bench top height.so if you have parts on the bench top that you're working on and just need to clamp something to cut, chisel, pare or plane a part, the handles may knock something off the bench. With a single screw, the handle doesn't need to be fixed so it's never above the bench top.
Look at the picture on this page and imagine a) standing facing the end vise and trying to cut dovetails in a board between the screws. Notice that the right handle is above the bench top
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BenchFinishing/CBbench0.html
(BTW - I wish they'd make the screw of a shoulder vise a lot shorter- though having a throat opening big enough for plaining dovetails on drawers is kind of nice to have.
For now I'd skip the twin screw - chained together or independent and see how things go. If you need a second screw and jaws then worry about it. By that time you may have saved up the bucks for the Veritas Twin Screw.
charlie b

I've got a Tage Frid (Scandanavian style) The vice I use most of all are the moving dogs in the front edge, moved by the tailvice. I have no use at all for it as an end vice.