Re: table saw question

I am thinking in buy a new TS to replace my RAS , do anyone knows the > REXON TS ?

Rexon is an importer of generic Chiwanese stuff, so there's probably a Delta or Craftsman just like whatever you're looking at, with different colored plastic on it.

That in of itself isn't necessarily good or bad. You really should get a look at the saw in person and kick its tires. I wouldn't buy one mail order without a lot of glowing recommendations, and I can count on one hand the number of times someone has mentioned a Rexon table saw here.

Reply to
Silvan

Thanks Silvan :

Your comments are very appreciated, and you are right it is a "chinwanese" machine , I live in Mexico and have not too much for choice and they are very expensive here , around 1000 usd for a table saw that could be found in USA for about 600 People here say they are all the same , Delta, Crafstman, Rexon etc. I like Jet and could be avaliable too for almost same price but with a 1 1/2 Hp motor Rexon has a 3Hp and looks stronger, is Jet another chiwanese stuff ?? Best regards

Luis

"Silvan" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@giganator.family.lan...

Reply to
Luis

Ouch.

Unless Mexico uses a different power infrastructure from us here in /la tierra de los gringos/, the 3 HP is just a marketing gimmick. That's the most horsepower it can deliver if you stall it out, just before it dies, and it can't ever actually deliver that under normal loads. Something like that anyway. The most you can run on 110/115/120V 15A circuit is a 1.5 HP motor. In the US and Canada anyway.

As for them all being Chiwanese, yes, it's probably true at this end of the price spectrum. High end Deltas are still made in the US for awhile longer. Most everything else comes out of Taiwan or China. Taiwan is generally better.

The thing with all these low end machines is that you really need to see what you're buying before you take it home, if possible. Quality varies enormously, even though two machines side by side wearing different paint might have been made on the same assembly line. Features also vary from machine to machine. They might use identical castings, but this one has a better motor, and that one has a better fence. The big, expensive parts get used on lots of different models, and the small parts are basically what makes a Delta a Delta or a JET a JET. This one might have a dust collection shroud while that one doesn't, or this one has a completely different set of fence rails, that one has a switch on the saw body while this one has a switch on the rail. So they're all the same, but they're all different too.

For what it's worth, I have a Rexon drill press wearing Craftsman paint. I've had some slop problems with it, but I got them adjusted out, and it's a pretty solid machine. I use it all the time. I wouldn't be afraid to buy something else imported/distributed by Rexon based only on the name, but there's not really much in a name these days.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Silvan