RE: T/S Inertia

Dont count on it. I experimented with this several years ago using a canvas/leather work glove. The blade left a clean kerf. There was the notion that if you used gloves with a TS the blade could catch the glove and pull your hand in. I do not recoment using a glove BTY but cloth and leather cut much more easily than wood.

Reply to
Leon

That's an oddball one. I would have figured the weight of the router would have caused the whole shebang to drop, not rise. I could see a loose collet causing the bit to rise. Either way, it's like Sancho Panza said, "Whether the rock hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the rock, it's bad for the pitcher."

It was very common with Craftsman routers for the bit to raise up but it was the bit slipping out of the collet rather than the motor defying gravity.

Reply to
Leon

"RonB" wrote

With less emphasis on safety. Shame

Max

Reply to
Max

The only problem I have with all these safety devices is that, in my experience with the Fire Department, they do tend to have unintended consequences; that being that people tend to be less concious of safety. The government can only do so much to require things to be foolproof. There really is no such thing. My wife's car tells the driver when the lights are left on, to fasten a seat belt, if a door is ajar, if the trunk lid or hood is open, if the fuel level is low, and probably several other things that I've not yet had the occasion to experience. And I'm not even going to tell you about the GPS!! It's enough to give me an inferiority complex.

Max

Reply to
Max

--------------------------------------- They do if you include the rest of the T/S instruction which includes hand placement, use of push blocks, standing location when starting to feed stock for cutting, how to finish cut with hands in a clear position which includes insuring the saved piece clears the back of the table (Yes, a run out table is req'd).

Basically, insure that you stay away from the blade when it is above the table top.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

These are not mutually exclusive. The problem is that safety equipment and ease of operation do seem to be mutually exclusive - except for the SawStop. Then it's safety and affordability are mutually exclusive. For now.

It's the same as seatbelts in a car. As a kid I used to bitch and moan when my Mom would insist I put on the seatbelt. Then it became a habit and I didn't even think about it. I'd be dead twice or thrice over if it weren't for seatbelts

You must be a young guy. When I was a kid, they didn't have seat belts.

Reply to
CW

Electric brake -- short out the supply wires after cutting the power, and the motor forces itself to stop.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Talk to Leon about exposed, coasting blades.

Reply to
CW

This is better with some resistance to absorb the energy. Without it the switch contacts usually burn off, quickly.

Reply to
Josepi

First time I ever experienced the Talking Car was a Renault rental in Santa Barbara about 25 years ago. I got so bent out of shape at it, I hunted down the connector and unplugged it. Told the rental guy when I turned it in and he asked me to show him how to disconnect it as he had complaints from everyone who drove one of the Renaults.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Which we can safely discount as being 100% successful. I too wonder about their insurance. Perhaps you can ask them.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

That's a rather strange idea. I understand that telling you not to use the hedge clippers to cut junior's hair is there purely for legal pre-emption, but there is surely Some meat in the safety instructions. And as far as the blade guards go, I've never had a problem with them and remove mine only for the obvious reasons. Granted I am not doing woodworking for a living or even as a significant part time avocation, but I think if I were doing it for a living I'd pay even more attention to safety. Familiarity does breed forgetfulness.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

These are not mutually exclusive. The problem is that safety equipment and ease of operation do seem to be mutually exclusive - except for the SawStop. Then it's safety and affordability are mutually exclusive. For now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not really. If you use the tool to make a living, its purchase is deductable. That trip to the ER, whether by you or an employee, means you can't afford Not to buy one.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

---------------------------

They put an average of 500 students per year thru WMT101 (Basic req'd course to take any advanced courses) which in and of itself is quite a statement.

The lawyers and the insurance gods have long ago put holy water on this program which just gets bigger every year.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Why do the lawyers and insurance folks deem it good?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

and the motor forces itself to stop.

-------------------------------------- Two totally different things.

One is a disc brake that immediately clamps when power is removed and when stopped, holds the shaft in place.

The other is what is called dynamic braking.

Involves an electro/mechanical interlocked reversing motor starter with the reversing contactor contacts shorted together with a heavy duty bus bar.

The spinning rotor generates the back EMF and stops the motor, but does not lock the shaft in place.

You need a well made motor because of the very high mechanical stresses imposed on the stator.

Both are expensive, even for heavy duty machine tool applications.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------- I'm reminded of an old time baseball player named "Wee Willy Keeler" who when asked why he was such a successful hitter responded, ".. cause I hit em where they ain't.

The course is built around prevention.

If you don't stay focused, "SHIT HAPPENS", so address it head on.

How you address the saw.(Where do you stand and how?)

How you set the blade height for the task at hand.

Is the splitter /W/ pawls properly installed to prevent kick back?

Where do you place your hands to keep the stock down on the table and against the fence?

Are your eyes focused on the fence to insure the stock stays in contact with the fence?

Has your left hand been placed behind your back at the proper time?

Is the correct push stick in the right location and readily available, if req'd?

The list goes on, but the idea is to train your body to perform SAFE motions in the proper sequence almost automatically. Think "Wax On, "Wax Off".

. Lew

.
Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"HeyBub" wrote

It seem so me that one reason why people discard the crown guard (hood, Murricans) is the following (

)

1910.213(c)(1)

'The hood and mounting shall be arranged so that the hood will automatically adjust itself to the thickness of and remain in contact with the material being cut but it shall not offer any considerable resistance to insertion of material to saw or to passage of the material being sawed.'

Of the few I've tried, this is darned near impossible to get the hood to automatically be elevated by the leading edge of the job if one is sawing material of varying thicknesses, so it is not surprising that people get fed up with them.

There's a pic of an ideal(?) but darned expensive and difficult-to-fit guard at the foot of

Jeff Gorman

"Father Haskell" wrote

Electric brake -- short out the supply wires after cutting the power, and the motor forces itself to stop.

For an almost instant stop, I gather that something called DC injection is required and this requires a special and expensive motor.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Not true.

I worked with many different dynamic and mechanical braking systems, including DC Injection braking and none were any special motors. OTOH these were industrial applications using larger HP units.

Geeeeez. My cheap $189 slide saw has dynamic braking on it and I doubt it is any special motor. The blade had to worth half the price. It also has a delay circuit that doesn't react immediately.

Jeff

"Father Haskell" wrote Electric brake -- short out the supply wires after cutting the power, and the motor forces itself to stop.

Reply to
Josepi