Re: subpanel for the shop

Trimmed for brevity....

Sounds good, except if the lights are fed from the subpanel.....
Even with a main lug subpanel w/o the breaker on the incoming feed you can quickly kill all (or some) of the power by hitting the breakers.
I have a 60 amp main lug subpanel with 8 slots, 4 filled. I could kill all the power only marginally faster if I had a main breaker. Regardless of the setup, you have to recognize a problem, realize you need to kill the power, run over to the panel, open the cover and reach up and switch the breaker(s). I also have the option of just switching the circuits feeding the receptacles and leaving the lights up or vice-versa (though I do have a light on a separate circuit run directly from the main panel that I always turn on).
My 2 cents....
Tim
RE: Subject
Go to your local DIY and buy a 125A, main lug only 12/24 panel.
Add a 2P-60A main c'bkr kit and an insulated earth ground bus bar kit.
Use 1P-20 for receptacles and lighting circuits.
Use 2P-40 for a 5 HP air compressor and a 2P-30 for your table saw.
Other loads as req'd.
Lew
"brianlanning" wrote in message

60A makes much more sense all the way around.
Follow the advice in Lew's post in this thread and you won't go wrong.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05
On 2 Jun 2005 23:28:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How's that? I have a 100A subpanel, fed from a 100A breaker in the main panel.
--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse DOT net
| 60 amp breaker and properly sized wire is safe and within code. Others | have suggested to go for the extra capacity for a full 100amp. Well | for one thing, you cannot get a branch breaker in your main panel sized | for 100 amp. I think 60 amp is the maximum. You're talking dedicated | feed to the shop instead of branch off the main when you go 100 amp. | Also you are talking about wire that's getting to be a real bear to | handle and much larger conduit. | | I'm with you on going for 60amp. its ample for a home workshop. | | Bob
Not too sure where you're coming from, Bob, as my shop is fed from a 100A breakered service that is itself a drop from my 100A main service. The feed wire is about 1" thick (I think #1). The electrician who installed it had no problem doing so.
The setup allows me to isolate the shop service such that I can supply emergency power to my furnace and/or air conditioner whenever the hydro is out. It tends to piss the neighbours a tad when I have the only lights in town.
I currently have 3 15A 110 drops from it and 1 20A 220 for my compressor. As this panel used to be my main (until I upgraded to breakers) there is lots of room for expansion.
There seems to me to be no reason not to go for more capacity when it is available.
-- PDQ