Re: Studfinders

Well, my wife did an excellent job: She found me! ;-)
She's not available.
However, the Stanley that I bought 4-5 years ago continues to work well and, if I recall correctly, had the advantage of being inexpensive.
Jim "stud" Stuyck
Sun, Aug 10, 2003, 12:15am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (JimStuyck) says: <snip> However, the Stanley that I bought 4-5 years ago continues towork well and, if I recall correctly, had the advantage of being inexpensive.
Mine is considerably older, and still works just fine. http://tools.aubuchonhardware.com/levels_and_measuring_tools/combination_squares/stud_finder-386189.asp
JOAT The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god). - quote from Small Gods
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 6 Aug 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html

LOL! I had a B&D that went the same route. I went back to tapping on walls after it missed 6 times in a row. -- Erniue
On 09 Aug 2003 23:48:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

I have a bottom-of-the-line Zircon that works OK. None that I have ever used is perfect, so you really need to do a bit of back and forth work at different levels to get a truly reliable location. Sometimes they just won't locate a stud for some reason, mine gets sort of scatter-brained when the batteries get weak. They *do* work, you just have to understand what they will and will not do.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Had a Zircon, worked pretty well..but now I use my Lumber wizard...hey if it's good enough to save my planer & jointer blades...then it's gotta be able to find a stud. and i got one less gizmo to keep track of.
walt q
The zircon model is supposed to sense to two inches (I think, may be 1 1/2) through any non metal material I think. A trip to their site would probably solve it. I have used it numerous times through vinyl siding which would be like --> Vinyl, fan fold, old siding, tar paper, plywood or wood sheathing. It has worked fine as long as you keep it tight to the wall and not out on the tip of the vinyl profile (there is an air gap behind there).
Mark