Re: Stud Finders. Do any of 'em work?

I have had a Zircon cheapie for 20 years. It finds lots of stuff. Just a row of LED's none of this LCD crap. One thing that is wrong with it is that it doesn't know if it is a stud or a pocket door that is lurking behind the drywall. Those pocket doors don't slide well with a

3" screw in them... or so I'm told.

LOL , Glad to hear that I am not the only one that fixes doors so that they don't move. My dad's side garage door needed to be rehung so that it would not bind when closing. After repositioning the jam I used my finish nail gun to reapplied the trim and a couple of the nails went into the door.

Reply to
Leon

Reminds me of an associate's tail of woe... he wanted to hang an antique pool table light over his pool table. He used a stud locator to find the ceiling joist, marked and drilled. With that water came pissing down on his pool table...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Yeah. I once installed a new toilet paper hanger on a wall with the pocket door in the open position, right behind the wall. All 4 screw holes that I drilled in the wall were clearly apparent in the pocket door once in the closed position.

Lesson learned.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Metal mesh jams the electronic stud finders. If you hold a lamp close to the wall, can you see dimples over the nail heads in columns 16" apart?

Reply to
Father Haskell