Re: Stihl chainsaw recoil not working

Spring slip, cord not threaded through guide hole, spring broken....

If you just bought it, take it back and get it repaired. If you've outrun the warranty, open, discover, fix. I've repaired and replaced frayed ropes on mine about three or four times in the last twenty years.

Does anyone know how to fix a weak recoil on a Stihl chainsaw? I just > bought a used 066 Magnum (to use with my Alaskan sawmill) and the > recoil leaves about 12" of string hanging out. I tried to put a > couple more wraps on the pulley, but it pulled out again and appears > to be back to the same situation. It's wierd because it recoils just > enough to get one revolution (which is enough to start the saw). Is > the rope too long? Is the pulley slipping? > > Thanks! > Chris
Reply to
George

Sometimes you have to take the rope out of the pulley and wind some extra tension to the spring. Try not to pull the pulley and spring out, it is a b***h to get it wound back up and back in place. If it does come apart on you, make sure it is orientated in the proper direction. DAMHIKT. Do a search here for possible more Ideas/info.

Thanks, Tony D

Reply to
Tony D.

Had a leaf blower/vac do the same to me and the recoil sping was broken.

< It's wierd because it recoils just
Reply to
spearfox

Don't have my saw here , but if the spring is in backwards, it will tend to slip as you pull it the rope,(the way it does when it winds back in,IOW it wont turn the crank) Thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
Tony D.