Re: Stain/Paint/Furniture advice

Looking for advice. I have a distressed black entertainment center in

> my living room. I neither love it nor hate it. I am needing new > furniture and contemplating making my own end tables and a coffee > table and possibly a new entertainment center. (I only do woodworking > as a hobby btw). > > My floors are hardwood oak, with a sort of reddish tint. (I think it > may be called butterscotch). > > My question is, if I were to make these, would you stain them a > reddish hue similar to the floor? Would you stain them a walnut stain > to contrast the floor? > > Or should I keep the entertainment center and paint my coffee > table/end tables black? (Again to contrast the floor). > > More than likely, I would use red oak as I have a lot of it and I can > get it at my local Lowes. (I know if I paint it I have to fill in the > pores). > > Also, would you make everything out of solid wood only, or would you > use plywood to simplify everything? > > I appreciate any advice. I have attached links to some pictures. I > hope they work.

WARNING: personal opinions follow.

As to ply vs lumber, ply has its place but whenever possible I use lumber. One problem with ply is the necessity to band the edges. Well, it isn't actually a necessity as long as you don't mind looking at butt ugly plywood edges :)

You don't necessarily have to fill the pores in oak, depends upon the look you want. However, with red oak,you do need to seal any end grain (in red oak, not white) as it is vey porous and will suck up paint like a sponge.

Color is quite personal but I would not try to match the floor. I'm not sure I would try to match the ET center either. I'd probably go for a dark brown but much depends upon what else you have in that room If you were replacing all wood stuff, I'd suggest keeping the wood the same in all so you have a set. What wood? Well...

Cherry is popular but I don't like it

Maple is popular but not among my favorites.

Walnut is wonderful if you like dark.

Everyone hates poplar but I like it. The heart wood is wierd but sap wood boards are readily available and if you like light woods, it looks fine.

I don't do red oak. I love white oak...to work and for its inherent characteristics but not for its looks.

Ash is sort of albino oak.

Birch is ho-hum IMO.

Hickory is under rated...hard but not hard to work; reasonable in cost; both sap & heart wood are attractive.

Mahogany - particularly quartered African mahogany - can be spectacular. Nothing wrong with dark red luan either but not as spectacular.

Reply to
dadiOH

i would use real wood and pick a color i like and clear coat it might even mix wood types so there is a little contrast within the piece

Reply to
Electric Comet

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I'm not good with colors, so no opinion there...

Depends on the size of what you're making. For end tables and a coffee table, I'd use solid wood. For an entertainment center, I'd make the big pieces out of plywood.

Note that even tho a coffee table top is a fairly "big piece" I wouldn't use ply for that, because it's a surface that will get a lot of use, and you may want to sand and refinish it at some point. Plywood, to all intents and purposes, cannot be sanded. An entertainment center, once you have the TV situated, gets little wear, so no risk in using plywood there.

Note also that the grain pattern on Oak plywood can be extreme. Some people like that look, some don't.

John

Reply to
John McCoy