Re: Stabilized ChainSaw Bar?? Accuracy needed.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do. Are the cuts 90 degree, or are you trying to cut the miters and leave tenons?
Have you considered using a portable bandsaw?
Ed
Use an electric chainsaw.

That's exactly what I intend to do.
The issue is that the 16" long bar will deflect sideways with a small amount of pressure: about 1/4 inch with 1 pound force approximately. This is enough to cause inaccuracy in cuts even if the chainsaw body is rigidly restrained.
I want to build a mount for the saw that will reach out and support (relatively) rigidly the far end of the bar. This would still leave about 12" of working bar.
I think. I'm hoping someone has done something like this, OR can point to something like this, OR point to why it's a really dumb idea...
--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
snipped-for-privacy@fredking.us

A bandsaw that has an 8 inch clearance is big and expensive. I'm trying to find/design a low-cost alternative for the once-in-a-while framer (me!)..
A sharp chainsaw with a unworn bar and chain makes a pretty accurate cut if well controlled. I want to build a sort of "chainsaw chop-saw" which controls the saw movement. Not usual 'freehand' at all.
--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
snipped-for-privacy@fredking.us
snipped-for-privacy@fredking.us says...

While living in the Berkshires, one of the nearby property owners hired some folks to do some logging of the trees. . .The loggers had a rig set up on a flatbed trailer with a humongus such chainsaw chop-saw. You might talk to some loggers for starters.
Kim
there is a add on tool for a sidewinder saw like a skill 77 that is called a beam cutter made by pratzi it has a about a 12 " bar that hangs down from where the blade would be retaiils for about 120 to 139.00
check it out I think thsi is what yuor talking about

Yes I've tried this product.It was dissapointing ,I would advise you stay clear of it. It is not accurate. Chris

I looked at this product; it does not add any stabilization to the far end of the bar, and I believe that is what makes some of the chainsaw mills work well: the bar is held solids at BOTH ends...
I'm close to a trial design for this, using 1" and 1.5" square steel tubing in the frame; I hope to be trying it out in about 10 days...
I have 8 by 8's 16 feet long in my yard as of last night, and cutting time is coming fast...