RE: Squaring Rough Lumber

Page 5 of 7

Block the sumbitch on the cnc table, level to top with multiple passes of a wide bit and then cut a rectangle to the required size. Take the sumbitch off flip good side down and pass it through the planer. Done. </smartassmode>

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=Jointer.mp4

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=Jointer.mp4
ROTFL ... Gotta love it. The proper tool for the job, 21st century style. No Luddite, you, wot! :>)
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Yeah, he's certainly not a Luddite, nor a follower of Lord Roy's. He's a Normite of the first degree.
-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb

That set-up worked out great the other day when a local trophy shop asked me to put a flat side on a slab of maple burl.
On 6/14/11 1:44 PM, Robatoy wrote:

bastard
--

-MIKE-

(1) Shim the sumbitch on your home-made planer sled so it don't rock. (2) Run it through the planer. (3) Rinse & repeat No. 2 until flat.
On 6/14/11 1:35 PM, Swingman wrote:

You kinda have to, huh? If you're trying to get a 6' finished board from badly bowed 8' rough stock, you better be willing to work with a finish thickness of 2mm. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 6/14/2011 2:53 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yeah buddy ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I'm not sure my planer even goes that thin...

It'll be pretty close to even thickness along the entire length -- but it'll still be bowed. :-)
On 6/14/2011 11:37 AM, WW wrote:

Missing a lot. If the board has a twist from one end to the other the planer will deliver you a board that is thinner with the same twist.
Same sorta goes for the first cut on the TS.
On Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:37:53 AM UTC-7, WW wrote:

The planer doesn't leave the board unstressed during the flattening process, so there's some spring-back as the board exits. The steps (3) and (4), though, seem better than a jointer if you are going for an edge glue joint later; sanding the surface after a dull jointer pass is harder than sanding the surface after a dull tablesaw pass. Handplane jointing is ready for glue, but power jointers can (especially when dull) compress the fibers badly.

The way I do it too. Never found a need for a jointer. Can't see ever having the need for one unless (1) I was doing production work. (2) I was buying realy crap lumber. Productiobn work I don't do. Crappy lumber I don't buy. Now, how long will it take for someone to get on here and tell me that my method won't work and can't work?

I guess it depends on your definition of "work".
Ten or fifteen years ago, I formulated these rules of thumb based on actual measurements and observations:
1. If something is out of square/plumb/level/parallel by one part in 100, it's immediately obvious to a casual, untrained observer. IOW, 99% accuracy is *not* good enough.
2. If it's out by one part in 200, it will be readily visible to anyone who's looking for flaws.
3. If it's out by one part in 400, it's visible to a particularly discerning eye.
4. If it's out by one part in 800, it's not visible, but can be found by measuring.
5. If it's out by one part in 1600, see rule 4, but use precision instruments.
If you don't use a jointer -- or some equivalent method such as a good jointer plane, a planer sled, a jointing jig for a router, etc. -- you're *not* going to get any better than Rule 2.

Bull shit. BTW, how did yoiu get out of my bozo bin? Don't answer. You're heading back in right know.

Well, you're the one who keeps claiming to square lumber perfectly without a jointer, but refuses to say how, so I'm sure you're the expert on bullshit here.

Problem's obviously on your end. I've been using the same ID for a *long* time. So who's the bozo?
Hard to live your own lessons, Dougy?
"Doug Miller" wrote in message wrote:

Well, you're the one who keeps claiming to square lumber perfectly without a jointer, but refuses to say how, so I'm sure you're the expert on bullshit here.

Problem's obviously on your end. I've been using the same ID for a *long* time. So who's the bozo?
Reading comprehension 101?