Re: source needed - steel router bit v-groove

You aren't going to touch HSS with a file. All you will do is produce a shiny spot and dull the file. A cutting tool has to be harder than what it is cutting. do you use wooden chisels?

That is a very interesting approach. I realized that I have this old Craftsman (sorry for the spelling) moulding head that holds three blades/knives. It would work, in theory -- it is would cut deep enough, unlike a standard setup on a bench shaper. Maybe I could have knives made for it rather than altering the router bit. Do I look for "Tool Grinders" in the Yellow Pages? Or, does anyone know of an on-line or mail order source for such a thing? I have detailed CAD/dxf drawings of profile.
Thanks.
The molding head would be the best choice. For that type of profile, it is far more efficient. Yes, look in the Yellow Pages under "grinding, tool and cutter".

No luck in the Yellw Pages but having some luck at Thomas Register. I think. Not 100% sure if the companies I am finding are right, but I'll check on Monday. Thanks.
BTW, I also found a company that makes "roughers" and burrs, or some such. http://www.midwestcuttingtools.com/burrs.htm Designed to rough-up surfaces, and they have 60 deg bits, so I could use the standard router bit and then the rougher. That is now Plan B.
No. A rougher is a type of milling cutter. They have "teeth" on the flutes to break up chips. They are used to rough out a shape before the finish cuts.

CW wrote:

How would a molding head work for making a v-groove with lines it? If the groove is just stepped, that would work. But if you want a v-groove with raised lines (or even cut in lines), a molding head won't be able to do that since it doesn't move in the same direction as the material.

Of course, you are correct. But my original idea -- not actually stated here -- was to approximate many steps. A rough surface would be good enough for the prototype, and a $14 router bit seemed a good way to go. Anyway, I sort of backed into a solution. Thanks.