Re: SOMEONE WANTED A KID'S PROJECT

Thank you, they made a trivet and enjoyed it.

As it happens, they made this box last summer in scout camp. There were two glue guns. Those who used the guns made a box; those who stuck to white glue made a mess.

Reply to
Toller

I did something similar to this once, but with different hinges. My choice was leather strapping, two pieces all the way around the chest. It made both hinges and (with a buckle) a catch to keep it shut. A huge bag of bronzed upholstery tacks also let them personalise their own chests a little. Leatherworking with pre-cut materials is quite a fun project for kids too - hole punches and riveting are easy enough to work.

If you're pre-sawing the stock for the lid and you have a jointer with an adjustable fence, then take the time to cooper the lid strips. It makes it a whole lot better as a finished product, and it's little enough extra work if you're making a batch.

Andy Dingley

Do you work metal ? Take a look at eBay and the widely advertised traditional Chinese "rat's arse" padlocks. The design isn't hard to copy.

Andy Dingley