Re: SOMEONE WANTED A KID'S PROJECT

http://www.bconnex.net/~zirgo/treasure/treasure.html A week or three back, someone wanted a simple project for kids. I'd forgot about this, it's about as simple, and relatively safe, unless they glue each other down, as you can get.
Thank you, they made a trivet and enjoyed it.
As it happens, they made this box last summer in scout camp. There were two glue guns. Those who used the guns made a box; those who stuck to white glue made a mess.
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:44:40 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

I did something similar to this once, but with different hinges. My choice was leather strapping, two pieces all the way around the chest. It made both hinges and (with a buckle) a catch to keep it shut. A huge bag of bronzed upholstery tacks also let them personalise their own chests a little. Leatherworking with pre-cut materials is quite a fun project for kids too - hole punches and riveting are easy enough to work.
If you're pre-sawing the stock for the lid and you have a jointer with an adjustable fence, then take the time to cooper the lid strips. It makes it a whole lot better as a finished product, and it's little enough extra work if you're making a batch. -- Die Gotterspammerung - Junkmail of the Gods
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:33:45 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Do you work metal ? Take a look at eBay and the widely advertised traditional Chinese "rat's arse" padlocks. The design isn't hard to copy.