Re: Should I get a refund on these chisels?

Douglas Fir, here in California it is the only standard construction lumber for house and small building framing. I believe it is in the pine family. It has a very wide open and knotty grain, irregular grain but there is the straight grain and knot free cuts as well, more expensive. The color is very orange.

You would not dare use the basic knotty cuts for fine work in any genre. I am using it for the trestle of my first woodworking bench. The top however, will be hard sugar maple. In the grain of DF, the harder ribs of grain can be extremely tough.

above grade. I make the connections in the 4"treated

has lost the wooden handle and generations have struck

sacrilegious. I went to the local hardware man and

giving it the treatment, the chisel performed reasonably

I have an old Stanley 200 series 1/4" currently made, and the replacement model for 60 series is the current 900 series. On the website, both product listings for

900 and 200 say that the steel is "ball bearing grade", well this 200 I have simply grinds down like chalk when scary sharpening. I hope your 60 is better than that.

But, modern factory chisels like that are made for exactly what you are using it for, construction work. Not dovetails and benchtop work.

The current Buck bros. chisels have a plastic handle and a black steel cap and a thinner blade, there is a fellow in my adult ed. class using one for dovetail work on a large mahogany blanket chest, as he bought it accidentaly intending to pick up a stanley, he has no complaints as i spoke with him about his opinion on it.

impregnated with aluminum oxide. The strop is

mirror sheen. I wouldn't want to use a nice

we like and I certainly was not impugning those

I bought the horse butt just for stropping, I just wouldn't use it for burs. No impugnation taken. It is the only leather I have right now. Get your self a rip of it, thin and smooth perfect and very high quality, link:

down to "North of Cordovan", large piece for the money, that's a yard sitting on them in the picture.

you having examined the conditions surrounding their

appropriate, to determine if they thought your set is

chisels and see if it made an acceptable difference. See

I'll keep'em. The wider blade merely meant more resistance. Thanks for the great reply too, kinna hard for me to get one in this n-group.

Reply to
AAvK

...hhmmm... I have an old mid 90's article on chisel steel testing and testing for use by known woodworkers, back then (in that article) the Buck steel tested to be "barren" plain steel, not special at all though it was chosen by one woodworker for how it was made.

In the 60's it was a real and acceptable tool steel. I agree with that because I have sharpened the ones I bought, my OP here of the 6th paragraph states why. I really believe these days they have improved their steel though. That article was about 9-1/2 years ago or so.

Reply to
AAvK

Yer right Rick, me stands corrected. Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
AAvK

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:14:03 GMT, the inscrutable Rick Cook spake:

But didn't they say "new 'OLD stock'", Rick? I couldn't wait to use single quotes with you, BTW.

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques