Re: Shipping Question

JOAT asks:

I get the uneasy feeling it might stick to finishes, but...try a test. Wrap a similar shaped, finished object with Saran wrap. Set it in the freezer for a night or so. Then stick it over a heat vent (this assumes you don't have a heat pump with its low temp heat at the vents). Or next to a fireplace or woodstove (even better). Then let it stand for a day, pop it back near the heat and sit for another day. Then peel off the wrap.
If it's OK, you're ready to go.
Quick note: when I visited Lee Valley back last year, I noticed a special machine in their shipping department. It tears and wrinkle clean, low cost paper they use for stuffing boxes. Since then, I've noticed several other companies using similar machine torn paper. I didn't ask at the time, but my guess is that it is slightly cheaper than peanuts, a lot cheaper than bubble wrap, and probably easier on the environment, too.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
Saran is DuPont's polyvinylidene chloride. You might search for properties of PVDC. Its real virtue is that water and air don't pass through it easily. It's pretty thoroughly cross linked and I wouldn't expect it to permanently adhere to a well cured finish. But, as with anything a trial is in order. Polyethylene will stick less.
I buy most of my shipping supplies from Uline when I can't get the locally. You might look at what they have also.
http://www.uline.com/index.asp
RB
T. wrote:

Any chance of ink transfer onto the piece from the shopper papers if you used them? I know the one I get here leaves my hands a mess when I thumb through it.
How about getting roll ends from your local newspaper? Usually cheap, no ink, readily available (if there is a newspaper or print shop close to you). That would be cheaper than buying stuff such as in the link below: http://www.uline.com/AdvSearchResult.asp?view=ALL&SubGroup 53&Source&BrowseGroup@&Method=BROWSE

How about a roll of white (blank) newsprint. You can usually pick the roll ends up for free or next-to-free. You could use the stuff for wrapping your banks and also for stuffing although the free newspapers would be cheaper for stuffing.
IF shipping USPS Priority Mail, remember our government will hand-deliver free shipping boxes to your front door. It's true! My daughter sells quite a bit on eBay and she just requests the sizes and quantities of boxes she needs (tape too) and they deliver it for free to our doorstep. Heck of a service. P.S. thanks everyone for paying to do this. Yeah, I know, me too. :(
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"T." < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message

I was going to suggest that too, if there's a newspaper printer in JOAT's area. Roll ends here go for about $5 CAD (I get them for free, of course), and will have a couple of hundred feet on them. Usually somewhere between 30 and 36 inches wide.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

I keep meaning to go get some at the local newspaper. Cheap, long, wide enough for small object photography, one helluva lot cheaper than seamless paper (narrow roll [53"] 12 yards long costs about $22 delivered).
And digital has a changeable white balance that would make even a grayish paper OK.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Please seriously consider using Federal Express (FedEx), if it is available to shippers in your area.
I can frankly tell you that I and several other people I know have had bad experiences with UPS. When nothing goes wrong, it is great and they are always very pleasant on the phone when something does go wrong. But once something has gone wrong it can be bloody hell getting things straightened. Furthermore, for shipments from the U.S. to Canada, the minimum FedEx fee for handling customs clearance is MUCH lower than the UPS fee.
I and several others I know no longer buy anything that the seller will not ship by a carrier other than UPS.
--
Regards,

Benoit Evans

No experience with Saran. I have used poly bags with good results. They can be had pretty cheap also. Considering the use, a very thin bag like the dry cleaners use, or a shopping bag like Wal Mart uses, etc. You can usually find them pretty cheap. If you have a local manufacturer, maybe even rejects. You don't care if they leak or are mis-printed.
Newsprint does not offer any cushioning. Depending on the fragility, weight, etc, it may be a factor to consider. . Shredded paper gives a little cushioning. Ed
sometimes if your lucky, you can find bubble wrap in dumpsters, and always newspapers. Tony D.

Instead of using bubble wrap, foam is a better alternative, it always bounces back to it original size where if the bubbles on bubble wrap pop, all you have is a thin plastic sheet protecting the finish. after that wrap it with the shrinnk wrap used in the shipping industry, it is all relitivly cheap from a shipping supply store.
as for a shipping company there should be a shiiping broker in you area that you could use to find you a truck. they usually have a list of trucks that still have some space left over and they would rather pull a full load than a partiel. we have used this method a number of time when shipping our equipment.
We get some stuff shipped to us packed with something like small, inflated, joined together plastic bags as stuffing. Send me your mailing addy and I'll send you some of the stuff next shipment we get, probably next Wednesday.
Steve

I remember now who it is, Amazon uses this stuff in some recent boxes we got.
Steve

I can send the drill press attachment that is manufactured locally for me here in the US via priority mail for $3.85 anywhere in this country and the P.O. furnishes me with the box and priority large envelope. I wrap the tool in bubble wrap 1'x1' and fill in the box with 1 sheet of newspaper so that it won't rattle. The Vertilathe itself weighs a little over 2 # and you are allowed up to 4 # for the $3.85 postage. I figure it's a good deal for less than $4.
George http://vertilathe.freeyellow.com
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) writes:

Stretch wrap would probably be less expensive. You can certainly get it from Uline. I have no idea if it would adhere to a wood finish. I've wrapped painted wood with it before and it didn't affect the paint.
I know you like cheap, but you customers might not. I would charge your customer an extra dollar for shipping and handling rather than send out poorly packaged items. Customers will get upset if their item arrives damaged due to poor packaging.
Brian Elfert