Re: Shellac as adhesive?

Should work just fine. Don't know what's been working lately, but back when I was racing, the track guys would use shellac to glue their tires onto the rims. I know it was always difficult to remove a blown tire from the rim. Track bike were seldom ridden in the rain, but in dry weather it held better than the gooey stuff we used on our road bikes. Speaking of which, I'm glad to see that Lance Armstrong took the yellow jersey from the Frenchman on Sunday. Hope he can win his fifth TDF.
Sanded smooth the shellac finish on my guitar top today. Used the sandpaper wet. Didn't seem to hurt the shellac. BTW...the guitar will be finished in about 10 days. where can I post a photo for the n.g. to see? -Rick
Sbtypesetter wrote:

On the subject of losing tires, was Beloki using sewups or clinchers?

Hell of a strategist, isn't he?

Dr. Rev. Chuck responds:

When he starts to moan about how bad he feels...
But he's not exactly a bad rider either. Makes my legs ache to think of all that effort.
Charlie Self
Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan
Figure as many Frenchmen watched the All-Star game?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:09:21 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."

The thinking on rec.bike.tech is tubulars (sew-ups).
Barry
Sbtypesetter wrote:

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. spaketh...

My concern would be whether the shellac could hold under the amount of pressure screens endure. The old method was to use a cord in a groove, but those were always coming loose. There are some nicer aluminum frames that use a tensioning system. We did have some large screens, 12' + that may have been glued, I don't remember. They stretched so bad that we had to offset them up to 6" sometimes. The shop owner was a poor businessman and ran the place into the ground. He thought it was more important to have a lot of high paid, gorgeous do-nothings in the front office than to update his equipment and pay his printers. I did admire his taste in women.
--
McQualude

they must use a new glue now. i have a screen i use for printing on glass that gets washed out with high pressure water. the glue used isn't affected by the water at all.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:07:10 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

in the rest of the world seem to be more "foot" oriented. Of course, this is just a generalization and probably worth as much as most generalizations.
-Doug
: For gluing silkscreen fabric to wood frames. Water, in large quantities, : is used to develop photostencils. Can shellac withstand a prolonged : drenching without losing strength? Appearance matters less than : fast, reliable bonding.
I have seen boatbuilders use thick shellac to glue in the bungs (wooden plugs) over countersunk screws. While this was then covered with paint I'm sure moisture seeps in. Seems to work ok though I've never used the method.
--- Gregg
My woodworking projects:
http://home.attbi.com/~saville/backstaffhome.html
Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:
http://home.attbi.com/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm
Steambending FAQ with photos:
http://home.attbi.com/~saville/Steambend.htm
"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558