Re: Shellac as adhesive?

Should work just fine. Don't know what's been working lately, but back when I was racing, the track guys would use shellac to glue their tires onto the rims. I know it was always difficult to remove a blown tire from the rim. Track bike were seldom ridden in the rain, but in dry weather it held better than the gooey stuff we used on our road bikes. Speaking of which, I'm glad to see that Lance Armstrong took the yellow jersey from the Frenchman on Sunday. Hope he can win his fifth TDF.

Sanded smooth the shellac finish on my guitar top today. Used the sandpaper wet. Didn't seem to hurt the shellac. BTW...the guitar will be finished in about 10 days. where can I post a photo for the n.g. to see? -Rick

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

On the subject of losing tires, was Beloki using sewups or clinchers?

Hell of a strategist, isn't he?

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Dr. Rev. Chuck responds:

When he starts to moan about how bad he feels...

But he's not exactly a bad rider either. Makes my legs ache to think of all that effort.

Charlie Self

Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
Gerald Ross

The thinking on rec.bike.tech is tubulars (sew-ups).

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

My dad's been a silk-screener for 47 years. Yep, I remember raiding his shop for shellac flakes 30 years ago. My last visit to his shop tho, he was using a rubber-based adhesive.. - Times change.

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. spaketh...

My concern would be whether the shellac could hold under the amount of pressure screens endure. The old method was to use a cord in a groove, but those were always coming loose. There are some nicer aluminum frames that use a tensioning system. We did have some large screens, 12' + that may have been glued, I don't remember. They stretched so bad that we had to offset them up to 6" sometimes. The shop owner was a poor businessman and ran the place into the ground. He thought it was more important to have a lot of high paid, gorgeous do-nothings in the front office than to update his equipment and pay his printers. I did admire his taste in women.

Reply to
McQualude

they must use a new glue now. i have a screen i use for printing on glass that gets washed out with high pressure water. the glue used isn't affected by the water at all.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Figure as many Frenchmen watched the All-Star game?

"G.E.R.R.Y." Did you hear that, on the Alpe d'Huez (sp?) *ten* *mile* *climb*, the

Reply to
George

What's interesting is most US sports are "hand" oriented, and sports in the rest of the world seem to be more "foot" oriented. Of course, this is just a generalization and probably worth as much as most generalizations.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote: : For gluing silkscreen fabric to wood frames. Water, in large quantities, : is used to develop photostencils. Can shellac withstand a prolonged : drenching without losing strength? Appearance matters less than : fast, reliable bonding.

I have seen boatbuilders use thick shellac to glue in the bungs (wooden plugs) over countersunk screws. While this was then covered with paint I'm sure moisture seeps in. Seems to work ok though I've never used the method.

--- Gregg

My woodworking projects:

of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

FAQ with photos:

"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558

Reply to
Gregg Germain