re: sHARPENED

And from out of nowhere, (probably California), comes "way."
We can now drop "much", "very", "too", "exceedingly", and several other words from the English language because (I swear I'm not making this up), even NPR reporters are starting to use it in their speech.
Better, much better, best. Not better, mo' better, and way better.
Is mo' better better than way better? Is mo' better _way_ better than way better or just better?
(Obww) Is applying Varnish over shellac over oil better than a varnish / oil mix, or is it way better?
<sigh> Between "near" and "farthest" there isn't a point that's "way far." At least there wasn't until an NPR reporter used that phrase to describe distance recently. I nearly wrecked the car, 'cause I was way shocked.
Michael "I'm way sexy for my shirt" Baglio

AFAIK Mike Meyers, from SNL. (Wayne and Gart)
charlie b wrote:

A couple of my learned kids used "all" in place of "said" or some other appropriate past tense verb, as in "He's all, 'Dude, whazzup?'"     mahalo,     jo4hn (who didn't know that people thought the characters in "Fargo" spoke with an accent)
jo4hn responds:

I been knowing him forever.
By the way, what's Fargo? Used to be a western series (books, not idjit box) by that name, but it stopped years ago, AFAIK.
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

A mystery film that came out a few years ago. Nominated for an Academy Award or two. Folks there spoke as I probably did before moving to Californy, ya know? "Ya know?" is the north central US equivalent to "eh?"     yew betcha,     ya4hn (who can do Ole wid da best of 'em dere, you behhtcha)

Grew up near them nek-o-woods. Loved "Fargo". Cemented my respect for Bill Macy too.
He's a turner, dontch'a know? Hmm - I'm thirsty. I'm off to the bubbler...

Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

I had it explained to me that this is a pennsylvania dutch (IIRC) grammatical structure, probably carried over from some obscure dialect of german...

Just like wood, language is dynamic and is in motion. Just like wood, if you try to inhibit the expansion/contraction cycle, it'll crack.