re: sHARPENED

Page 3 of 4
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:31:12 +0100, Andy Dingley

Yabbut, what would THEY know?
------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:19:47 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

Now, that's pure dumb, if you ask me.
Which nobody did.
And my opinion, like everyone else's, doesn't have to be based on objective fact.
And frequently isn't.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
gw wrote:

It has its place - as in "Prolly wanna cracker?"
;-)
Godzilla

Common in Ireland, and some parts of the USA.
--
Smert' spamionam

My wife is from Pittsburgh and uses that construction all the time. Drives me nuts!
Pittsburghers do talk funny, don't they? "Yins"?
--
Kevin
-=#=-

"Dave W" < snipped-for-privacy@suscom-maine.net> wrote in message
Don't get me started...
I'm coming to the picnic with yuns. What should I bring with?

That's right, the correct grammatical construct is, "I'm coming to the picnic with ya'll. What ya'll want me to bring?

Just bring the Yings, annat! Go, Stillers!
I always get a double-take when I talk to people, here. Some have been so bold as to suggest the _I_ have an accent!
--
Kevin
-=#=-

"Gary W" < snipped-for-privacy@here.net> wrote in message

Yunz need ta get over it.
Dave Hall a West Virginian who has lived in Pittsburgh 20 years too long

[straying further from the topic]: My wife's family is from MO -- they have a hard time with the difference between "idea" and "ideal", as in "Tim had a great ideal, we're going to have a picnic on Saturday!" or, the converse, "Fastening that board that way is idea!"
Just one of those things that makes one cringe.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:15:25 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Hey now, that isn't really a Missouri thing. I've been around one or two people who get that wrong, certainly not everyone around here. On the other hand, SWMBO insists on shoehorning an R into Washington. Drives me crazy every time.
--
Joe Wells

sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

LOL, I've got a bad habit of saying "it needs fixed". Really bugs an anal retentive city slicker friend of mine. He never should have told me. :)
Add the British "He was in hospital." Seems "the" and "a" are no longer used in England.
The incomplete "Can I go with?"
The southern favorite "I'm fixin' to ..."
And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said" as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."
charlie b
charlie b adds:

That last one has been around for at least a decade and a half. I recall being pissed at the youngest kid's constant use of it during her high school daze.
How about a really great one, "It's so fun."
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
On 09 Sep 2004 00:05:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

? What's wrong with that one? You're just pronouncing it wrong, it's really, "It's sooo fun"
:=)

calmly ranted:

"When you go there, bring it with you." vs. "take"
--
Guns don't kill people. Rappers do!
Larry Jaques wrote:

Would you be "in jail", or "in the jail" / "in a jail" ? Brits find themselves "in hospital" or "in gaol". It's an adjectival state, not a location. The reason for being there is far more important than where you're doing it.
Andy Dingley wrote:

He's hospitalized. He's been hospitalized He is jailed. He's been jailed.
English!
charlie b