re: sHARPENED

Page 1 of 4
What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."
Scot
srazor wrote:

Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened." Yup. Or "need sharpening".

Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Fading memories of proper grammatical construction most likely. Yes, it is somewhat annoying.
It may be a regional colloquialism. They say things like that, here, in Pennsylvania. I never heard it in Texas.
--
Kevin
-=#=-

"Mark & Juanita" < snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com> wrote in message

Say I 'member that too.
Want a Coke? OK, what kind?
(Still "Jonesin'" for the free hot rolls at a good BBQ joint.)
I'd settle for the good BBQ!
--
Kevin
-=#=-

"patrick conroy" < snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net> wrote in message
patrick conroy wrote:

Of course with Vanilla Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Caffiene-free Coke Classic, Cherry Coke, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet Coke with Lime, Diet Cherry Coke, and Coke 2, it's a legitimate question these days.

--
--John

'Cept 9 out'a 10 times - it's Dr. Pepper. :)
Ahh. Dr. Pepper. I look for it, but it's hard to come by. Lotsa Pepsi, though. Ugh.
--
Kevin
-=#=-

"patrick conroy" < snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net> wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:11:25 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Same here in AZ, I really miss Spring Creek BBQ and the "bread girl" who would pass out those fresh hot rolls as soon as they came out of the oven. mmm mmm good!
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:01:47 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"

Yup, here in Pennsyltucky we also have "cricks" instead of creeks.
In Philadelphia there are "shtreets" where others have streets.
One of the "shtreets" is spelled Passyunk but is invariably pronounced "Passhyunk".
Over to Jersey they gots a town spelled Buena, which the locals pronounce as "Byoona" and I'm told that when folks stop in "Byoona" and ask where Buena is - people just say, "Never heard of it".
It is often the case that I will ask for Drawings but will be given "Drawlings".
This reminds me of the time that I was listening to a Richard Pryor routine in which the father of a child who was going to leave the house without permission was told, "Don't nobody said you could go no place".
This made me think of how such a sentence might be diagrammed...
...and then I passed out.
Regards, Tom.

sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Or: "They prolly need sharpened"
I hate "prolly"
says...

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Irregardless :-)
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:48:55 -0400, Gary W wrote:

lacksadaisical
--
Joe Wells

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

wrote the college professor in charge of it and told him he'd forgotten a major one.
Where I come from (Kentucky) te word "wash" has a "r" in it :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

decided to post "Re: sHARPENED" to rec.woodworking:

Irregardless of the lackadaisical sharpened, I've prolly orientated MYOWNSELF, I mean it's "ALL I KNOW," to saying "WALLA."
Got that?
HTH,
/ts
PS: even worse, it's proper usage to put the punctuation inside the quote marks, though they punctuate the sentence and not the quote....
snipped-for-privacy@nnoossppaamm.com says...

And unless my memory is failing, that practice is new since those long ago days when I went to school :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:20:51 -0700, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Commas and periods go inside the quotation marks. Semicolons and colons go outside the closing quotation mark. Question marks and exclamation marks go inside the quote if they apply to the quote; otherwise, outside.
--Warriner's _English Grammar and Composition_
..._Don't_ make me draw my Fowler...
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:19:47 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

Strunk and White is God.
Regards, Tom.