re: sHARPENED

What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Scot

Reply to
srazor

Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Yup. Or "need sharpening".

Reply to
Daniel

Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Fading memories of proper grammatical construction most likely. Yes, it is somewhat annoying.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Or: "They prolly need sharpened"

I hate "prolly"

Reply to
gw

It may be a regional colloquialism. They say things like that, here, in Pennsylvania. I never heard it in Texas.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

I hate "orientated" :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Common in Ireland, and some parts of the USA.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My wife is from Pittsburgh and uses that construction all the time. Drives me nuts!

Reply to
Dave W

Pittsburghers do talk funny, don't they? "Yins"?

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

LOL, I've got a bad habit of saying "it needs fixed". Really bugs an anal retentive city slicker friend of mine. He never should have told me. :)

Reply to
Bill Stock

Add the British "He was in hospital." Seems "the" and "a" are no longer used in England.

The incomplete "Can I go with?"

The southern favorite "I'm fixin' to ..."

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said" as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

It has its place - as in "Prolly wanna cracker?"

;-)

Godzilla

Reply to
Godzilla

charlie b adds:

That last one has been around for at least a decade and a half. I recall being pissed at the youngest kid's constant use of it during her high school daze.

How about a really great one, "It's so fun."

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

I had it explained to me that this is a pennsylvania dutch (IIRC) grammatical structure, probably carried over from some obscure dialect of german...

Reply to
bridger

Don't get me started...

I'm coming to the picnic with yuns. What should I bring with?

Reply to
Gary W

Yunz need ta get over it.

Dave Hall a West Virginian who has lived in Pittsburgh 20 years too long

Reply to
David Hall

Irregardless :-)

Reply to
Gary W

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:25:09 -0700, charlie b calmly ranted:

"When you go there, bring it with you." vs. "take"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[straying further from the topic]: My wife's family is from MO -- they have a hard time with the difference between "idea" and "ideal", as in "Tim had a great ideal, we're going to have a picnic on Saturday!" or, the converse, "Fastening that board that way is idea!"

Just one of those things that makes one cringe.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

? What's wrong with that one? You're just pronouncing it wrong, it's really, "It's sooo fun"

:=)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita