Re: Setting Jointer knives

I don't like the jointer pal, because the knives always seem to move when tightening the bolts. I never get the ±.001" they claim. Instead, I use a dial indicator. By using the height adjustment set screws and holding down on the knives with a wood block when tightening, I get great results with all knives nearly dead on the mark on the dial indicator (± .0005 or less). It takes longer, but then I don't change knives every day.

The latest issue of Wood magazine tests the Jointer Pal from Woodstock Inc. > They claim that they work real well in setting up jointer knives. > Anyone use this product ?? > Or > How do you do yours ? > I`ve been using the planer cutterhead dial indicator from PM. It works but > can be a PITA to set each knive equally. > > > >
Reply to
Preston Andreas

I have this and find that it works as advertised. No complaints.

Phil

JPErac> The latest issue of Wood magazine tests the Jointer Pal from Woodstock Inc.

Reply to
Phil

I just went through changing out knives on my 6" Jet jointer. What I found was that it really helps to "...read, understand, and follow the directions for your power tools..." as Norm says. Once I did that, the Jointer Pal worked perfectly.

I made the mistake of trying to level the outfeed table and the infeed table first, then removing the knives and trying to re-set the new ones. Had a very difficult time getting the outfeed table back to the right height. It seems like the outfeed side has to be perfect for the jointer to work right and not chew up the wood.

I don't know about +-.0001 tolerance, etc, as I don't have anything to measure that, but the Jointer cuts better and smoother than it ever has after using the Jointer Pal to put in new, sharp knives -

It would help to have a "flat" open-end wrench. I bought my Jointer used at an auction, and I didn't get the flat wrench that Jet supplies. Instead I was using an open-end from Craftsman metric set.

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich