Re: Setting Jointer knives

I don't like the jointer pal, because the knives always seem to move when tightening the bolts. I never get the .001" they claim. Instead, I use a dial indicator. By using the height adjustment set screws and holding down on the knives with a wood block when tightening, I get great results with all knives nearly dead on the mark on the dial indicator ( .0005 or less). It takes longer, but then I don't change knives every day.
Preston

I have this and find that it works as advertised. No complaints.
Phil
JPEracing wrote:

I just went through changing out knives on my 6" Jet jointer. What I found was that it really helps to "...read, understand, and follow the directions for your power tools..." as Norm says. Once I did that, the Jointer Pal worked perfectly.
I made the mistake of trying to level the outfeed table and the infeed table first, then removing the knives and trying to re-set the new ones. Had a very difficult time getting the outfeed table back to the right height. It seems like the outfeed side has to be perfect for the jointer to work right and not chew up the wood.
I don't know about +-.0001 tolerance, etc, as I don't have anything to measure that, but the Jointer cuts better and smoother than it ever has after using the Jointer Pal to put in new, sharp knives -
It would help to have a "flat" open-end wrench. I bought my Jointer used at an auction, and I didn't get the flat wrench that Jet supplies. Instead I was using an open-end from Craftsman metric set.
Nick B