Re: Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

Page 2 of 2
Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 11:58am (EST-3) too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) doth burble: Say you want to setup a home shop for both metal and wood working....what older American or European machines would you choose to populate the shop with? <snip>
It this pretend, or for real? I won't bother if it's pretend, there'll be plenty of others willing to do that. If it's for real, you didn't say if it's for you, or something I'd choose for myself. Either way, the sanswer is the same. It depends.
It depends on: Whait is actually needed versus what is only wanted, space available, money available, etc. Details, details, details.
It wouldn't make sense to recommend a huge metal lathe, if all you want or need is a lathe to make model parts. As far as I'm concerned you just tossed a blanket question out, with insufficient details to allow a viable response. More details. And a forklift? For a home shop? If you really need onc, it's probably be more cost effective to rent one, plus it wouldn't be sitting around taking up space.
JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure. - Clodpool
Just a little note of caution.
Fire and wood shouldn't go together unless it's in a fireplace, barbecue or smoker. In an enclosed space, especially a basement . . .
charlie b
This was a *home* shop?? goodgawd.... :) Too many tools, indeed! And, 5,000 sq ft oughtta just about be enough space....
If space is an issue, consider that wood and metal often don't mix. Ditto grinding dust and ways, welding sparks/fumes/flash and fire/health, etc. Layout is probably as much of an issue as tool selection.
--
------