Re: screw heads stripped

Tom Wolves wrote:

It the pilot hole is the right size, try waxing the threads of the screw. Also check the driver bit to make sure it isn't damaged or improperly ground.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Use square drive screws, use a slower speed with more torque.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:41:59 GMT, "Tom Wolves"

1. Get a better grade of screw.
2. Make the pilot hole larger.
Don't use square-head screws...unless yer prepared to dig out the shank of the screw if the head snaps off.
Have a nice Labor Day weekend...
Trent
Don't use soap in red oak, use wax instead. Also, use a tapered drill bit (#6) versus a straight bit. Even in red oak, the tapered drill bits make it easy going. I am working on a red oak workbench, and I have had no problems, at least in this area.

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Aug 30, 2003, 1:41am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (TomWolves) How can I screw in a #6 two inch screw into red oak?I made pilot holes with a drill bit but when I use my drill/driver it strips the heads of the screw.Thanks for any help you can give. ****************************************************** 1- Use real wood screws as I assume you are not doing rough construction work. 2- Make the hole with a tapered drill made for the purpose, obtainable from Rockler and other suppliers. 3- Rub beeswax on the screw. Do not use soap as it will rust a steel screw and cause stains. 4-Use a hand screwdriver.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
Group: rec.woodworking Date: Fri, Aug 29, 2003, 11:36pm From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (SirEdgar) Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Aug 30, 2003, 1:41am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (TomWolves) How can I screw in a #6 two inch screw into red oak?I made pilot holes with a drill bit but when I use my drill/driver it strips the heads of the screw.Thanks for any help you can give. ********************************************** I forgot to mention in my previous post below that the tapered hole has to be two inches deep. Real wood screws are not self tapping, especially in oak. Also you will have to drill a straight hole the length and diameter of the unthreaded shank underneath the head. Countersinking is optional depending on the style of screw head you are using.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar ******************************************************1- Use real wood screws as I assume you are not doing rough construction work. 2- Make the hole with a tapered drill made for the purpose, obtainable from Rockler and other suppliers. 3- Rub beeswax on the screw. Do not use soap as it will rust a steel screw and cause stains. 4-Use a hand screwdriver. Peace ~ Sir Edgar
Nova wrote:

Ditto, and the best wax I've used so far has been the wax ring for a toilet bowl. Easily breaks up & melts into a soup can and is real cheap.
Grandpa wrote:

Just don't try a _used_ one... :)
I'll have to try that though. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Wax, yes. Soap, no. Soap will absorb moisture from the air and promote corrosion of the screw.

Before doing this, consider carefully whether this may unacceptably weaken the joint.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:41:59 GMT, "Tom Wolves"

1) learn how to use your drill driver properly. 2) use square drive/Robertson screws 3) drill the proper (depth and diameter) pilot hole 3) use a thread lube like paraffin on the screw 4) be patient (I needed to hear that one myself)
- Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount! ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

The proper pilot hole size in oak for a #6 screw is 5/64 (it is smaller, 1/16 in pine). The standard shank diameter for a #6 screw is 9/64, so depending on your application, you could probably increase the pilot hole to 3/32.
American Fastener has a table of proper bit sizes for pilot and shank holes:
<http://www.americanfastener.com/technical/drill_bit_size.asp
Be sure us are using fine thread (not coarse thread screws). Coarse is OK for drywall and for pine but in hardwood, you need a fine thread screw.
--
Regards,

Benoit Evans