RE: Saw Horse

This saw horse is listed in Mother Earth.

Built several, worked quite well.

Make sure to follow cut list, there is almost 100% utilization of

2x4s.

Lew Hodgett

Now, if he would only reveal where to find 8' 2x4s for $2.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I get my framing stock, all kinds, free.... in the dumpsters at construction sites. Lots of other goodies, there, also. That's maximizing utilization.

That saw horse is not only heavy to haul around, you can't carry them easily or stack them easily on one another, out of the way, when not in use.

The ones I've made are relatively light weight, last years and I can stack 5 high before they're too tall for comfortable, easy reach.... and probably less than $2 each, not counting the 10 to 15 minutes labor it takes to make one.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

They forgot to put a top on that work bench. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

after you get it built? It's too cumbersome and heavy to move around - I guess you could build a house around it...

Reply to
HeyBub

It really only weighs 3, 2x4 studs. I have step stools that are heavier than that.

Reply to
Leon

Eat your Wheaties to start your day, then think?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

$1.88 in Pittsburg, Ks. Fairly good too.

IMHO wooden horses are too much trouble and too cumbersome. I have a set of the good, fold-able metal horses and a set of the fairly heavy duty plastic ones. The metal ones have a 1,000 load rating when in their lowest adjustable position and they double as a base for my part- time assembly table. All fit well against side of my pickup bed. One pair of wooden horses will occupy 1/2 of the bed.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

You're right, of course. I was comparing it to the two plastic sawhorses I use that weigh 2.5 pounds apiece. And upon thinking on it, I retract my comment about "cumbersome." I figure you could disassemble the thing to carry to the next job site.

'Course you'd have to save the nails, too, or it wouldn't be quite right.

Reply to
HeyBub

LOL, I prefer the light weight plastic ones my self.

Reply to
Leon

When we were building our house our framer had three wooden horses that looked like they had been around for 20 years. Beat to hell, full of saw cuts and open screw holes where all kinds of temporary things had been attached. I commented on the age and he said "Yeah, I get a year or two out of them and then make new ones."

Reply to
RonB

I got tired of having to store sawhorses, so I built a pair of folding ones. Two three foot 2x4's for the top, hinged together at the bottom with a pair of 3" butt hinges. The legs are 30" 1x6's, let into the ends of the 2x4's with 12° lap joints, then glued with construction adhesive and nailed with roofing nails.

They are immensely strong, light weight, and they fold flat when you hang them on the wall. The top is cut from a six foot 2x4, and the legs from a ten foot 1x6. The only waste is the little wedges that you cut from each end of the top pieces.

(the 12° lap joints were a little hard to cut without a bandsaw)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Want a horse with a flat work top? Try these

stack, /can't/ wobble, and you'll probably need a pretty serious saw to cut one in half. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Yeah, I still like those. :-)

...especially how you can use it as a clamp.

How do they stack, I can't figure it out.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Mike

At a guess - swap the legs end 2 end - single leg fits in the 'clamp'

Similar to the - Using a clamp-on vise pix - visualise the single leg as the clampee

CYA Steve

Reply to
Stephen Quinn

Don't swap end-to-end. The single leg /is/ the clampee for the sawhorses below. Each adds about 5" to the stack.

The only time I've ever stacked mine was to test stackability.

I can't recall that I've ever actually used one to support material being sawed - what I don't cut with a stationary saw usually goes on this:

Morris Dovey

You'd think so, but it's amazing how fast the place shrinks when I'm gluing up a batch of 8'x6' solar panels. :(

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Something the ME saw horse handles quite well since it was designed specificfally to handle that task without suffering accidental cuts.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I noticed that, too. If I had a TMEN horse, I'd still use my RAS (which also seems well-designed for the task). :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey