Re: Saga of the Sofa Table - end assemblies

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many spindles/parts, can really save time ...

Reply to
Swingman

A link would help:

Swingman

(To those of you in Rio Linda, RBS = Reddish Brown Shit.)

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Swingman wrote in news:W6ydnU9r_MYCHv7NnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The prefinishing is what I didn't do with my trial sofa table. Real stupid, but a lesson learned. I didn't glue in the spindles, nor the strips that I inlayed into the rails. Those strips have small dados that receive the tenons on the spindles. Since it is all contained between the rails that are kept in place with dominos in the legs, it is Ok for the spindles to have just a little play ... I made this from left-over wood, pine and fir (??). It is contrasting, but I'm not thrilled with the combination. But then, it is going to stand behind the couch and is invisible unless you lean over the back of the couch.

Reply to
Han

> RBS to the rescue, eh? Ya ruintit.

Tsk, tsk .... it's not finished yet, C_Less. Hold your horses until it's done, you might like it, trust me.

Reply to
Swingman

>>> RBS to the rescue, eh? Ya ruintit.

Yeah, well, OK. But the angle showing the darker solids in the grain looked pretty bad in that shot you ref'd.

The next thing you know, you'll be -filling- the poor, innocent pores, too. And smearing on poly.

I taught you better than that. &

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Thanks. Where there's a will .... use the Multi-Router to do the floating tenon mortise first, and my old Delta hollow chisel mortises to cut the exposed tenon side about 1/2" deep only. Basically it's a floating tenon/plug. Actually had four left from a previous job, and although the grain doesn't match, the only one complaining will be C_Less.

Reply to
Swingman

Good to know had not realized the detail of the hollow chisel mortise. I have a domino so might borrow this idea some time. It's a nice detail and I like it.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Damned _tootin'_ I will be.