Re: Russian or Baltic Birch Plywood?

Page 1 of 2
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:24:21 GMT, "Jonny Durango"

They're the same thing. They may not be exactly the same, but you'd have to look into the quality grading marked on the boards to tell them apart. At the level of "birch plywood" they're equal.
But cheap MDF makes a better speaker cabinet.
--
Smert' spamionam

"Jonny Durango" writes:

Russian
It's the glue.
Russian birch is usually made with interior glue.
Finnish birch (Baltic) uses exterior glue.
If you ever try to laser cut a piece of Russian, it will be a problem.
HTH
As far as speaker cabinets are concerned, why not use MDF?
--
Lew

the
in
with
it
I had a pair of these, if I recall they were Spendors, great speakers.
Bernard R
Could you share some details on this speaker project. I think I'm interested in trying it. Where did you get the plans? Are the components easy to come by? How expensive? Thanks much ---> Ed

Johnny can you share some more about the process? I cruised the site a bit this morning looks interesting as I'm a KEF fan and these compare favorably to kef.
Where do you expect your investment to come in? I'm looking for pricing on the cicable xover now, but not having any luck.
Alan

All of the Russian plywood I've seen in Seattle has fewer plies than the little bit of Baltic birch I've seen. Is that common? The Russian plywood seems to be less dense, also.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

I bought some from Compton's. I think it's 7-ply. It was on sale, so I got a few sheets for something non-critical, but I'll check out Crosscut for more important cabinets.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:08:07 GMT, "Jonny Durango"

Cargo cult bullshit (in a hi-fi product ? how unusual !)
You can't claim to tell the difference between beech and oak corner fillets on one hand, then not specify the grade of ply on the other. Use poor (or thin) ply and you _will_ tell the difference.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:08:18 +0100, Andy Dingley
|On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:08:07 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
| |>The use of any hardwood for the beech |>fillets produced a audible colouration caused by the resonance of the B110 |>on its chassis." | |Cargo cult bullshit (in a hi-fi product ? how unusual !) | |You can't claim to tell the difference between beech and oak corner |fillets on one hand, then not specify the grade of ply on the other. |Use poor (or thin) ply and you _will_ tell the difference.
Heh Heh,
I am reminded of a guy that worked for me who after hours was a musician and a "hi-fi" buff.
He was one of those guys who claimed that they could hear the difference in speaker wire. Since we were electronic engineers and our department had a gazillion dollars worth of test equipment available I defied him to assemble a test setup that could measure _any_ difference between OFHC (oxygen-free-high-conductivity) copper wire and zip cord of the same size. He declined. See:
http://www.national.com/rap/Story/0,1562,3,00.html
and:
http://www.vxm.com/21R.64.html
Then there's "sonic differences" between tube amps and solid-state, blah blah....

Ignoring for a moment the effects of microphonics and valve's use for guitar amps, then there is certainly a valve sound vs. a transistor sound. However this is a _bipolar_ transistor sound, not specifically a solid-state sound. Better MOSFET designs (like Self's for E&WW a couple of years back) avoid this.
--
Smert' spamionam

If you can't hear the difference between tube and solid amps on a decent quality system then you have a tin ear.
|> Then there's "sonic differences" between tube amps and solid-state, |> blah blah.... | |If you can't hear the difference between tube and solid amps on a decent |quality system then you have a tin ear.
Ah, but I speak of those to whom a tube amp sounds "better." In other words, distortion is good. [g] |

"Better" is sometimes difficult to quantify. Ultralow distortion specs don't necessarily correlate with better sound, and part of the appeal of tube amps is their second and third order harmonic distortions. I don't have any tube equipment myself, but I do find their sound quite seductive and engaging at times and I can understand why some would prefer them.

Guitar amps have more of a sonic signature than stereo amps, which ideally should be sonically transparent, but typically most people can differentiate between solid state and tube amps. I know I can, probably even with earplugs on and my head under water.

I won't claim to have heard the difference in high end wire vs. high end wire, but I COULD hear the difference (when i was into car stereo's 15 years ago) between monster cable and straight wire flex connect II interconnects. The later had a more open high end. You could better place a guitar's strings in a good Mobile Fidelity gold recording vs the montsters.
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:11:10 GMT, "Jonny Durango"

Be careful comparing materials used in acoustic instruments and speaker cabinets. The instrument is creating a sound, the speaker is reproducing it.

I'm with ya' there. The same goes for any other instrument amp. Tube amps have definite, unique properties, especially when overdriven. Heck, even good blues harp players use a tube amp, rather than blowing straight into a high quality vocal mic.
Many stand-up bass players specify ONLY old Ampeg tube gear when they rent amplification.
I'll end by pointing out that solid state Marshalls only caught on with collectors... <G>
Barry
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:50:44 +0100, Andy Dingley
Unless you want to move it. <G>
Most portable and musical instrument speaker enclosures are birch ply, as it's lighter and more durable than MDF.
If it's not moving often, I'm with you, MDF is better,
Barry

It makes a good cheap speaker cabinet, which is great for the DIY'er, but MDF does not necessarily a make better cabinet. Most high-end speaker systems do not use MDF as a cabinet material as it's acoustic properties can be bettered by other materials.
such as?
dave
mp wrote:
snip Most high-end speaker

Like what ? I've a pair of Musician Bonsais (if you remember obscure Scouse loudspeaker designs from 25 years ago) which have cases made of an organic polymer concrete. Now that's better than MDF, but it's pretty damned obscure.
For rational materials though, MDF is pretty hard to beat. It's crummy shelf-building properties actually work to its advantage for speaker cabs.
--
Smert' spamionam