Re: router table height - is 40" too high?

I prefer having my power tools a little higher. My TS is at 40", my RAS at

44". I'm 5'11". I don't like having to lean over to use my tools. My router table isn't that high, but I wouldn't complain if it was. I often find workbenches a little low too. Those of us with bad backs don't like to stoop!

The standard tablesaw height seems to be about 34". My router table is currently

> in the TS extension and it always seems like I'm leaning over it. > It seems like I'd want my router table a little higher...like maybe 40". > > Has anyone built a table this high? Has anyone else wished theirs > was higher? > > BTW, I'm average height - 5'10" > > -- > ************************************ > Chris Merrill > snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net > (remove the ZZZ to contact me) > ************************************ > >
Reply to
2manytoyz

Interesting that you bring this up. I'm 6'3" and my TS is the standard 34" or so. I am about to start building some work benches and drawers (on casters) for the new shop and would like them to also serve as extension tables as needed, but I don't want to work at such short bench heights. And, my shop is so small that, if anything, I'd like the TS to be taller than anything else so that when I cut a large piece on the TS it will not be stopped by the bench, etc. I do realize that sometimes it is good to be able to really get over something to apply leverage, but then I'm willing to move the stuff to the floor or saw horses. So, I've been thinking of doing something to my DW mobile base to raise the TS about 4 inches, in the meantime wondering about the safety issues -- for example, when cutting a

2" strip off 16" x 24" piece of stock using the fence with the strip falling to the left, i.e., I'll be pushing the stock through all the way back with my hands. In some ways, the higher TS seems safer because it would be less likely that I would/could fall forward Just some thoughts. I'll be following the thread.
Reply to
Igor

Wed, Sep 10, 2003, 2:18am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrill.net (Chris=A0Merrill) says: The standard tablesaw height

Interesting. My router table is set so I can sit down using it. I have no problems using it that way, at all. And, not sure how tall it is either.

But, I just cut about 7 1/2" out of my saw stand. I had it a bit high. Now it is about 37", or so, and seems about right. I suspect I may want to raise it another 1/2-1" later, but will use it for awhile and see. Easy enough to raise it if I do. I got told I'm now 5'7", down from 5'8", at my last physical.

I've heard about the standard heights, but I don't pay attention to things like that. I figure out what height seems most comfortable for me, and go from there. If I'm wrong and have to raise or lower something later, like my saw stand, I do it. No prob.

JOAT Fawkahwe Tribal Police - SWAT Team

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 9 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

I built a router table that stands about 18" high I normally place it on top of my table saw, so the RT working height works out at about 54"-55" (not in the shop at the moment so I'm guestimating the height)

Been thinking of building a new floorstanding RT and have considered building it to 48" as I realised I didn't have to bend over to use it and that its a really comfortable height to use

I'm a shade under 6'

Reply to
AJS

For some things, it's too high. Everyone has to make decisions based on their own shop and size, mine went with a router "table" I can store under my belt/disk sander. It is made so that my Workmate can grip and hold it, which provides me with a couple of comfortable heights. Whole thing can get out of the way when the planer is in the long aisle.

I would never raise a tablesaw high enough so I had to lean into it to clear a board past the blade. That's my standard for use of the tablesaw by others, as well. It's not safe to lean, nor to leave a board between fence and blade.

Reply to
George

I'm 6'1", and prefer my TS, benches, and router table at about

36"-37". Take your existing setup, temporarily rig it to the height you're interested in and give it a test ride.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

This one's at 42", see

link.

Routerman P. Warner

I say "go for it". If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to using your old one.

Reply to
jim wilson

I cannot comment on the best height for a TS but for bench height I have found the ideal to be somewhere between the top of the hip-bone and the belly button. I'm 6'4" so for me that's 44.5" and that's what I made my bench. It's great, no stooping, no cricked back, I can tinker about for hours and not have to go through the hands in the small of the back groaning exercise.

However it is too high for some things. When I put my CMS on it I feel it is too high, if I use my CS I feel the same. For hand-routing it's perfect, tenon saw is good as are most small tools. For assembly of anything large it is too high.

So, for my CMS I am building another bench to live next to it which has been lowered so that the main bench can serve as a rest for longer stock. It's only a

3.5" reduction but I think it will work well and have the dual benefit of being at a height I feel more comfortable with and I don't need to build any long extensions for it.

For assembly I plan to make a bench with height adjustment so I can vary it depending on the project.

I haven't built a router table yet but I suspect that after a little experimentation it will also end up 44.5" high.

(If my wife takes up an interest in my new hobby I have problems - she's 5'4")

Reply to
gandalf

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, mine is 43-1/2". I bought a Veritas bench-top router table and the stand I put it on (all I had at the time) put is at that height. I was concerned that it would be too high, but generally I find I have good control and like working at that height. I'm 5'11".

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

I'm 6' 2". I built mine 45 3/4" high. A year or so later I added wheels for ease of movement in my single-car garage shop / exercise room / freezer / laundry overflow / etc ... so the height is now 46 3/4". I like it that high, though I think I'd rather have one at TS height for doing vertical panels and the like.

One very nice thing about having it that high is that it's the perfect height for changing bits, setting depth of cut, etc., when I sit on a folding chair. It's the simple router-screwed-to-plywood style so lifting out a plate isn't an option.

I often use it as a high workbench/assembly table too, especially for smaller things.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I use featherboards attached to the router table fence to apply downward pressure, so the pressure is consistent.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi