Re: Router question; beginner...

Hah! When enjoying your new toy, take a few things into consideration; as you are with the dust. For example, take one of my new minor toys - a spray can of blue enamel paint in this case and the first time I attempted to use one indoors. Laid out about 20 square feet of newspaper on a wooden floor. Sprayed approximately a single square foot of area and then pulled up the paper. Nice blue ring around the entire 20 square foot area. I'll never do any kind of spray painting again.
Kim wrote:> I am wondering if I build a router table... will it be

The router puts out a lot of dust. A table with a vac attached will pick up a lot of it if it's a really sucky vacuum. If possible, maybe attach another hose to the fence just behind the bit, and you'll be suckin' even more dust away. Tom
Kim,
to do the DC right on a router table you have to start with a table that has a downdraft chamber for the router. You can hook up a DC to that, and then if you have a fence that supports DC, you can use a shop vac to pull from there, as well. I have a router table made by Woodpeckers which has a 4" DC port on the side of the cabinet, and a Twin Linear fence with has the 2" port at the back end. It does a pretty darn good job of keeping the cut free of chips and I never notice any appreciable dust. Without those goodies, routing is one hell of a messy operation!
dave