RE: Router Mortising Jig

Recently there was a discussion about using a plunge router along with a home made jig to make a mortise.
Jig is simple enough; however, proper set up could be a little touchy since there are no centerlines, scales, etc to assist.
Tonight I'm scrounging thru a desk drawer and find some 8x8 grid paper used for graphic arts layouts.
BINGO.
Tape a piece of the 8x8 to the bottom plate with double back tape, then overcoat with a sheet of clear contact paper used to protect books, shelves, etc.
Now you have a reference grid to use for any set up that is protected which reduces accurate set up to a minimum.
Even a blind hog finds an acorn if he keeps rooting around long enough.
Lew
On any cuts like this, I use the router itself to line up. Lay out the cut, put a pointed rod in the router collet, align the router to the layout lines, adjust stops.

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 05:21:06 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Excellent idea.

Or "routs" around? <G>
Made my mortise jig to cut only 5/16 X 1 1/2" for floating tenon. And only in 3/4" stock, 2 or 2 1/2" wide. Stops for router and stock. Have a 1/4" spacer w/ 2" stock. This is just for cabinet doors, don't see why it can't be scaled up.
there was a discussion about using a plunge router along with<BR>a home made jig to make a mortise.<BR><BR>Jig is simple enough; however, proper set up could be a little touchy<BR>since there are no centerlines, scales, etc to assist.<BR><BR>Tonight I'm scrounging thru a desk drawer and find some 8x8 grid paper<BR>used for graphic arts layouts.<BR><BR>BINGO.<BR><BR>Tape a piece of the 8x8 to the bottom plate with double back tape,<BR>then overcoat with a sheet of clear contact paper used to protect<BR>books, shelves, etc.<BR><BR>Now you have a reference grid to use for any set up that is protected<BR>which reduces accurate set up to a minimum.<BR><BR>Even a blind hog finds an acorn if he keeps rooting around long enough.<BR><BR>Lew</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Lew, To save you rooting around in drawers looking for graph paper, there is a web site called something like " make your own graph paper." You can probably Google it up. Its quite flexible for all your graph paper needs. Joe G

http://incompetech.com/beta/plainGraphPaper /