RE: Roll Top Desk

"Morris Dovey" wrote

I have had similar fantasies. I may even end up building something like this someday as I build and design systems for financial research/trading with lots of monitors and workspace. I presently use eight monitors spread over two tables. And lots of modules, shelves, electronics, etc.

Sooooo........, this isn't exactly a circular desk, but it can be arranged in a circle. And it costs way too much.

for the chair,,,,,,, I know there are some good chairs out there, but my vote for the ultimate ergonomic wonder chair is the Verte'.

has a back that is similar to your spine. And it adjusts so your spine aligns properly. And it trains your spine to acheive proper alignment even when away from the chair.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I know. I alway admired rolltop desks. And in their day, they were a top of the line workstation. When an inkpot and quill pen were in common use.

I always admired the big dictionary and dictionary stand at use in the libraries I visited as a youth. I used to run into my jr high library to look up words all the time. When I got older, I bought a big dictionary and planned to build a stand for it. I never had the space and then this thing called the internet came along.

Now if I need to look up a word, definition, etc, I just click onto

.

It is a lot faster and getting out that old, monster sized dictionary. And if I should ever build a nice dictionary stand, for nostalgia's sake, it would still get little use. The online version is much faster and more convenient to use. Sice it most likely when I need to look up a word, I am working on the computer anyway.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have a roll top desk and can't wait to get away from it. The modern ones are junk. They are set up for a few things and a computer and CD's. How about drawers - I have a few but most are tiny.

I have a flat screen monitor that fits within and isn't very hot. Monitor is hot. Consider the depth for an arm reach screen to keep the eyes good. I have a TV to the right and it is at another depth - eyes re-focus and keep the muscles functional.

Make sure you want one before putting a lot of work into it. Can you replace what you have or will it hold what you have.

Mart> "Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:6pB3m.2277$9l4.1007

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You snipped the rest of the conversation...

"Yeah, Great Grandpa was a great woodworker. Too bad we never use it now because wood is only found now in museums. Now, let's fly over to your place and finish our Zombie Shootout homework programming we were assigned. You can use the solar powered programming console and I'll use the mind controlled interface module."

Reply to
Upscale

I resemble that.

I've been accused of building stuff like a brick out house, but never junk.

Any desk I'd build would have to have at least a hanging file drawer on one side with a drawer above.

But like others have pointed out, just can't see how a roll top desk and current computer hardware are compatible.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Maybe one could make the roll top part of the desk on the lowish side and hang an LCD monitor on the wall above and in back of it; or else place it artfully on top of the pigeonhole box. With some care in design, this may not look too terrible. It would work out nicely for tall persons, at least, where the usual monitor height on the desk surface is annoyingly low.

Some laptop designs have much sturdier hinges than others. On my (work-provided) Thinkpad, I suspect the interconnecting cable between the halves would fail long before the hinges themselves, which appear to be machined out of solid metal. Other bits on the machine are somewhat more fiddly.

In my opinion, it makes little if any sense to get a laptop if the only place you're going to use it is on a single desk. You pay a premium (in money and in other limitations, like keyboard and screen size) for portability that doesn't get used. With a laptop, I find the La-Z-Boy or equivalent makes my favorite "desk."

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

A quick search finds the expected numbers of links -- here's a link to a compendium of some commercial attempts at solving the problem.

All have (imo) the problems I outlined above of restricted working space and limited "neatness" of the features for which one admires the rolltop design in the beginning. I've no really better ideas on how to modify the idea to not end up w/ what I'd think would be a dissatisfying kludge that one would probably regret having invested the time into when done.

If I had the room, I'd love a huge old rolltop--we have the old office desk of wife's grandfather which isn't rolltop but does have lots of cubbies in one of the pedestals and a (semi-)hidden side-panel area. It takes up about the only available place and because of the connection, can't be replaced. A cousin and her husband, both research medical-professor types found an old barrister's double rolltop I covet greatly...

--

Reply to
dpb

On Jul 4, 12:04=A0am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote: In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation station?

Well, first off, there's plenty of paper left in my world - bills and such arrive regularly.

Second, I would suggest you Google "Computer Roll Top Desk" as sveral firms have come up with designs to accomplish what you're wondering about and perusing their ideas may answer your many questions.

I like the flexible screen idea myself.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

====================================== Well, first off, there's plenty of paper left in my world - bills and such arrive regularly. ======================================

Hardly have any monthly bills left that are not handled electronically.

These include, utilities and bank cards.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Data and power sockets would replace part of the pigeonholes, and the flat screen would fold down onto the writing surface before closing the dustcover/rolltop.

Among the 'data and power sockets' would be charging stations for phone, PDA, etc., and at least one drawer would be fitted with a lid, so the snarl of cables you keep there wouldn't keep it from opening.

One old solution, that might be appealing, is the glass desktop with the monitor underneath.

Reply to
whit3rd

Maybe something even a little more exotic ~ a glass/plastic desktop with the monitor attached to it in some fashion, that folds up on an angle for easier viewing and folds back down flat when paper matters or writing is needed to be done.

I think if it was my design, I'd make some type of simple roll top desk that was higher and deeper than original roll top units. A LCD screen would sit fine in the back of such a unit and it would still allow for all the cubby holes and miscellaneous paraphenalia one would want that the original roll top design incorporated.

Reply to
Upscale

There seem to be plenty out there:

  • Measures 54"W x 28-1/2"D x 53-1/4"H overall.

  • Monitor area measures 21-3/4"W x 16-1/2"D x 18-3/4"H.

  • Beautiful rounded slat solid oak tambour door locks for security.

  • Four slide out cubby drawers in top section with label holders.

  • Three angled hinged door cubby drawers (one 10"W x 9-1/2"D x 1-1/2"H and one 10"W x 10"D x 2"H).

  • Desk top clearance under cubby drawers is 12".

  • Solid wood pencil/supply organizer included for behind keyboard.

  • Left dictation slide/mouse area measures 12-1/2"W x 13"D.

  • Right dictation slide/mouse area measures 13-1/2"W x 12-3/4"D.

  • Slide out keyboard drawer measures 22"W x 14"D x 2-1/2"H.

  • Keyboard shelf is 27" from floor.

  • Writing surface is 30" from floor.

  • Leg area under keyboard drawer measures 22-3/4" wide x 25" high.

  • Mail slot in both sides of rolltop.

  • Locking CPU compartment with cable access and ventilation has slide- out 3-cubby storage, 12-1/2" high vertical storage and optional storage shelf.

  • Ventilated CPU compartment has 9-1/2" wide x 17-1/2" high side door for easy access to cables in rear of CPU.

  • CPU compartment with roll-out shelf is 10-1/4"W x 25"D x 22"H maximum and includes a removable shelf.

  • Two box drawers with three interior dividers and locking letter/ legal hanging file - all on smooth rolling ball-bearing drawer suspensions.

  • Raised panel sides. Back is completely finished.

a list with pics and prices:
another list:
's a guy who makes them for a living:

Hand Made Custom Built Roll Top Desks I have been creating roll top desks built "one at a time" since 1976. These limited production roll top desks are custom tailored to the client's needs and wishes. I am a one person shop and produce no more than seven desks in solid walnut, cherry, oak, or mahogany per year. I have conducted extensive research into the history and development of the roll top desk over the past 30 years and applied all of the features of the historical top line desks to the hand built ones I now produce. A few of these traditional features include: extensive pigeon- hole arrangements, hidden compartments, raised panel construction, cabled tambours, swing arms, locking drawers. More contemporary options include: computer adaptations, interior lighting, ball bearing roller drawers, and phone/electrical outlets. Pricing for the traditional or computer adapted Clark model starts at $4,000.00 in a 60" wide, 51" high, and 35" deep version. The desks can be crafted up to 6' 2" wide. Please enter the site and browse the available styles, options, pricing. Start out by taking a look at the PHOTO GALLERY for examples of previously built Roll Top Desks

's an AMISH Desk w/pics

6" Dimensions: 30" D x 56" W x 51" H Kneehole Height: 25 1/2" Kneehole Width: 20" Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4" Center Cubby Width at Top: 18 1/4" Wide

62" Dimensions:

30" D x 62" W x 51" H Kneehole Height: 25 1/2" Kneehole Width: 26" Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4" Center Cubby Width at Top: 18 1/2" Wide

68" Dimensions:

30" D x 68" W x 51" H Kneehole Height: 25 1/2" Kneehole Width: 27" Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4" Center Cubby Width at Top: 24" Wide

Wood: Oak (Standard) Cherry Walnut Hard Maple Quarter Sawn White Oak Hickory Rustic Hickory

Drawer Slides: Full Extension with 100 Pound Weight Capacity

Standard Features: Cooling Fan in Pedestal Plain Back Raised Panel Sides Lock Standard on Tamber but Not Drawers Dovetailed Drawers Cord Grommets Full Extension Drawer Slides

Optional Features: Raised Panel Back Locks on File Drawers Drawers on Top - Adds 4" to Height

Hoosierpopi

There certainly does, so maybe there is hope.

Thank you for the effort.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So, once you've decided it is worth your trouble:

How about making the monitor that folds up. That is, you attach the monitor to a solid board, which makes up the worksurface when the monitor is folded down. The board is attached to two spring loaded hinges, and some air resistors (important!), and when you use the monitor, it folds up (and can end up being taller than the roll-up top)

Then, the front middle drawer would be nothing but a false front, which folds out of the way when you are using the computer. A height adjustable keyboard tray, and fold out mouse tray would be in there.

The CPU would be hidden in the drawer sides (make sure there's enough ventilation, so it doesn't overheat). The other side drawers should have a pull out scanner, and potentially a pull out printer...

Man, that would be one unique, and nice piece of furniture! (This is me wishing I had more time...)

John

Reply to
John