RE: Roll Top Desk

Page 2 of 2
"Upscale" wrote:

Two questions:
1) You paid for milk crates? 2) How do you hang Penteflex file folders in milk crates?
Lew

Neighbours had a pair of viscious Dobermans protecting their milk crates. It was either pay for milk crates or use concrete blocks from the demo job. But, it did lead me to wonder how the milk man managed to make his deliveries unscathed. Maybe he bribed the dogs with milk bones.

I wasn't worldly enough to know about Penteflex folders. Standard cardboard folders for me.
:)
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I wouldn't, in spite of how much appeal some of the nicer roll-tops have had for me.
What's worked best for me has been a 3' x 6-1/2' Formica-topped desk, with a 4' x 6' bookcase (for reference books) on one side and a three-drawer lateral file on the other (because there hasn't been any way to completely escape the paper-handling bit).
On one consulting trip I bought a 36"-wide door and used that for a desk top in my temporary digs, and that worked out fairly well. One pedestal was a bookcase and the other held a full-sized tower computer.
After 50 years of "electronic manipulation", my dream setup would be a walk-in, 12' diameter desk with a 6' "hole" in the center (for the most comfortable posture-enhancing swivel chair on wheels that I could find).
I've even fantasized about building a round room to put it in. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Similar to my dream setup with one overriding criteria. That criteria would be that when it was all closed up, it would look like a simple panelled piece of furniture with absolutely no hint of the vast array of electronics contained therein.
Upscale wrote:

That would be pretty, but I'd rather have two adjacent rooms for electronics - a rack room for "stable" electronics, and a lab for circuit work to (as much as possible) keep the clutter out of the "think space".
As long as I'm engaging in a fantasy, I suppose wastebaskets could be connected up to a dust collector/trash compactor through a 2hp shredder - which should be enough to handle the usual paper, PC boards, wire ends, solder splats, cats,...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Hey, this is fantasy right? Might as well go with the French maid in long black stockings handling the trash. :)
Upscale wrote:

Oh yeah - I just remembered how it happened that I never did get around to building any of that...
...and you know, it /might/ be more fun to make in Paris. ;)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

someday as I build and design systems for financial research/trading with lots of monitors and workspace. I presently use eight monitors spread over two tables. And lots of modules, shelves, electronics, etc.
Sooooo........, this isn't exactly a circular desk, but it can be arranged in a circle. And it costs way too much.
http://www.biomorphdesk.com/1-888-302-DESK/personal/overview.html
As for the chair,,,,,,, I know there are some good chairs out there, but my vote for the ultimate ergonomic wonder chair is the Verte'.
http://www.ergonomichome.com/ercoch.html
It has a back that is similar to your spine. And it adjusts so your spine aligns properly. And it trains your spine to acheive proper alignment even when away from the chair.
In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation station?
Well, first off, there's plenty of paper left in my world - bills and such arrive regularly.
Second, I would suggest you Google "Computer Roll Top Desk" as sveral firms have come up with designs to accomplish what you're wondering about and perusing their ideas may answer your many questions.
I like the flexible screen idea myself.
"Hoosierpopi" wrote:
=====================================Well, first off, there's plenty of paper left in my world - bills and such arrive regularly. ===================================== Hardly have any monthly bills left that are not handled electronically.
These include, utilities and bank cards.
Lew

Data and power sockets would replace part of the pigeonholes, and the flat screen would fold down onto the writing surface before closing the dustcover/rolltop.
Among the 'data and power sockets' would be charging stations for phone, PDA, etc., and at least one drawer would be fitted with a lid, so the snarl of cables you keep there wouldn't keep it from opening.
One old solution, that might be appealing, is the glass desktop with the monitor underneath.

Maybe something even a little more exotic ~ a glass/plastic desktop with the monitor attached to it in some fashion, that folds up on an angle for easier viewing and folds back down flat when paper matters or writing is needed to be done.
I think if it was my design, I'd make some type of simple roll top desk that was higher and deeper than original roll top units. A LCD screen would sit fine in the back of such a unit and it would still allow for all the cubby holes and miscellaneous paraphenalia one would want that the original roll top design incorporated.
There seem to be plenty out there:
* Measures 54"W x 28-1/2"D x 53-1/4"H overall.
* Monitor area measures 21-3/4"W x 16-1/2"D x 18-3/4"H.
* Beautiful rounded slat solid oak tambour door locks for security.
* Four slide out cubby drawers in top section with label holders.
* Three angled hinged door cubby drawers (one 10"W x 9-1/2"D x 1-1/2"H and one 10"W x 10"D x 2"H).
* Desk top clearance under cubby drawers is 12".
* Solid wood pencil/supply organizer included for behind keyboard.
* Left dictation slide/mouse area measures 12-1/2"W x 13"D.
* Right dictation slide/mouse area measures 13-1/2"W x 12-3/4"D.
* Slide out keyboard drawer measures 22"W x 14"D x 2-1/2"H.
* Keyboard shelf is 27" from floor.
* Writing surface is 30" from floor.
* Leg area under keyboard drawer measures 22-3/4" wide x 25" high.
* Mail slot in both sides of rolltop.
* Locking CPU compartment with cable access and ventilation has slide- out 3-cubby storage, 12-1/2" high vertical storage and optional storage shelf.
* Ventilated CPU compartment has 9-1/2" wide x 17-1/2" high side door for easy access to cables in rear of CPU.
* CPU compartment with roll-out shelf is 10-1/4"W x 25"D x 22"H maximum and includes a removable shelf.
* Two box drawers with three interior dividers and locking letter/ legal hanging file - all on smooth rolling ball-bearing drawer suspensions.
* Raised panel sides. Back is completely finished.
http://modernoffice.stores.yahoo.net/oakrocode.html?source=google&gclid=CPrC7KeuwZsCFU8wpAodyU5QAg
And a list with pics and prices: http://www.bizrate.com/desks/products__keyword--roll+top+desks.html
And another list: http://www.nextag.com/computer-roll-top-desk/products-html
Here's a guy who makes them for a living:
Hand Made Custom Built Roll Top Desks I have been creating roll top desks built "one at a time" since 1976. These limited production roll top desks are custom tailored to the client's needs and wishes. I am a one person shop and produce no more than seven desks in solid walnut, cherry, oak, or mahogany per year. I have conducted extensive research into the history and development of the roll top desk over the past 30 years and applied all of the features of the historical top line desks to the hand built ones I now produce. A few of these traditional features include: extensive pigeon- hole arrangements, hidden compartments, raised panel construction, cabled tambours, swing arms, locking drawers. More contemporary options include: computer adaptations, interior lighting, ball bearing roller drawers, and phone/electrical outlets. Pricing for the traditional or computer adapted Clark model starts at $4,000.00 in a 60" wide, 51" high, and 35" deep version. The desks can be crafted up to 6' 2" wide. Please enter the site and browse the available styles, options, pricing. Start out by taking a look at the PHOTO GALLERY for examples of previously built Roll Top Desks
http://www.rolltopdesk.com /
Here's an AMISH Desk w/pics
6" Dimensions: 30" D x 56" W x 51" H Kneehole Height: 25 1/2" Kneehole Width: 20" Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4" Center Cubby Width at Top: 18 1/4" Wide
62" Dimensions: 30" D x 62" W x 51" H Kneehole Height: 25 1/2" Kneehole Width: 26" Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4" Center Cubby Width at Top: 18 1/2" Wide
68" Dimensions: 30" D x 68" W x 51" H Kneehole Height: 25 1/2" Kneehole Width: 27" Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4" Center Cubby Width at Top: 24" Wide
Wood: Oak (Standard) Cherry Walnut Hard Maple Quarter Sawn White Oak Hickory Rustic Hickory
Drawer Slides: Full Extension with 100 Pound Weight Capacity
Standard Features: Cooling Fan in Pedestal Plain Back Raised Panel Sides Lock Standard on Tamber but Not Drawers Dovetailed Drawers Cord Grommets Full Extension Drawer Slides
Optional Features: Raised Panel Back Locks on File Drawers Drawers on Top - Adds 4" to Height
http://www.dutchcrafters.com/product.aspx?intprodid356
"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

There certainly does, so maybe there is hope.
Thank you for the effort.
Lew