Re: RFD: rec.woodworking.moderated moderated

Page 4 of 5
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I don't see any need for it either. My filters seem to keep the crap down to a dull roar.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

Most of my filters for rec.woodworking haven't been used for 60 - 90 days. The OT threads are usually clearly labelled as such if I wanted to filter them out.
So we have a proposal that no one has spoken in favor of, proposed by two people who have little record on usenet (one who hasn't posted on rec.woodworking since mid-2002 and one who according to Google has *never* posted on usenet) and no experience moderating a newsgroup.
I doubt it will even get to a 2nd RFD.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

This is right up there with the censorship pushed through by a bunch of idiots that controls political ads by citizens within 30-60 days of anelection.
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:26:55 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I subscribed to rec.woodworking briefly before I retired, looking for a post-retirement hobby, and I found the group to be an extremely pleasant place, with a charming personality. Very little acrimony, too. And helpful to the ignorant (moi). Unless it has changed dramatically, I'd think that this request is doomed to failure.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
    Greetings and Salutations....
wrote:

    I have to agree here. Not only is there a fairly good history of "on topic" postings, but, very few flame wars (and I have been a part of BOTH). It is generally a good resource for WW discussion and information.     As for moderation...I think the REAL problem is that moderating a news group is a big job under the best circumstances and, for a high volume group such as this could well be a FULL TIME job. Anybody want to take that on?     Regards     Dave Mundt

That remains the problem with this proposal.We have little or no information regarding the experience of the proposed moderators, and no information about the procedures and tools they propose to use in that moderation.
Until that information is forthcoming, the proposal is worthless, IMO.
And if the information isn't forthcoming reasonably soon, I will conclude that this proposal's goal was simply to waste people's tiime and voice a gripe on the part of the proponent rather than a serious attempt to form a new group.
djb
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm thinking that this "may" have been one of the best trolls yet. Put it together, an unknown drops in, incites a riot and disappears. Excellent job, I'd say. Took us all in Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

LOL! Good luck talking to yourselves. Usenet has enough power tripping netkops without another group run by them. Go to yahoo and stop wasting our time.
On 11 Sep 2004 01:02:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (VK) wrote:

Exactly.
Some specific questions:
- Who are you ? You're near invisible from previous postings. Why should we give moderator status to you of all people, let alone someone else who we have never heard of at all ? Why has there been no attempt made to even talk to some of the high volume posters and see if they would be interested in sharing the moderation task ?
- A hotmail address isn't a convincing technical argument for being capable of moderating this high volume ng single-handed.
- How _are_ you going to deal with single-handed moderation of a very large group ?
- How do postings arrive in rec.woodworking.moderated ? Will they be posted to it, or are you planning to make it a digest of the existing rec.woodworking traffic ? I can tell you know that you do _not_ have my agreement to repost any of my postings into this new ng.
- How are you going to exclude the puppy whizzer etc. from a moderated group ? There is a problem with these fools (best dealt with by killfiling), but do you think forged moderation is really beyond the wit of trolls ?
I accept that it's your right as a usenet user to post any deluded RFD you might wish to. However there seems to be a total absence of any support for it, and I look forward to the CFV (if any) being thoroughly defeated.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (VK) wrote in message

So, before the new group has even been put to a vote, the proposed moderator has
(a) demonstrated an inability to understand the content of a message in plain english--whereas the original poster was merely comparing two RFDs, the proposed moderator immediately takes personal offense.
(b) demonstrated an inability to respond impartially--rather than addressing the comment, he insults the original poster and resolves to ignore him.
(c) brought off-topic, irrelevant personal details into the discussion--the fact that he is a "God-fearing Christian" is of no interest, except to demonstrate potential biases the proposed moderator will bring with him. Tell me, will posts from Jewish woodworkers be permitted? What if a black muslim wishes to participate? Or a (gasp) ATHEIST?
Normally, none of those questions would cross my mind, but from personal experience, someone who responds to trivial matters by trumpeting their status as a God-Fearing Christian, what I hear quite often is someone trumpeting narrow-minded, intolerant bigotry and hypocrisy.
google-user responds:

And, gasp, you've just slipped into politics, describing our current Prez. Or, rather, quoting his description of himself.
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
Well, from my standpoint, I think he (Vito)is a CONTROL FREAK! I think he wants to exert absolute control over those that don't share his point-of-view. I will stick with the regular Wreck - I have been on (and off) it for years. I have made some good online wrecker acquaintances that I wouldn't change for anything - even though we very often disagree with each other's position. At least on the Old Wreck, one can express his opinion - a lot like visiting each other's woodshop. While woodworking is sure the topic of choice, having a Net Nanny that would kick one of us out for using an F-word, S-word or other innocuous explanation is an unacceptable choice.
He can go off and form his own group. And then...uh....stay there. And leave the unadulterated Wreck for men and women with stronger constitutions...
my .02 worth
Philski
On 12 Sep 2004 01:52:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (VK) wrote:

I don't believe you.
Now you've already admitted to having a secret and undisclosed plot for at least one extra moderator, selected solely by you and undisclosed in the RFD, so already I don't regard you as a particularly open or trustworthy person.
If anyone really _is_ in favour of this proposal, would they please care to speak up openly ?
On 12 Sep 2004 02:07:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (VK) wrote:

Unless you live in a real server bunker, I don't see your "seven connections" as especially reliable. Where do they run? To the same telegraph pole ? Down the same garden path? It's still exposed to these same single point failures.

Not to mention that confidence-inspiring hotmail address.
What sort of UPS capacity do you have on the house ? And if you did lose power / gain a plumbing flood, would you still be interested in mod duties ?
Co-resident moderators just aren't distinguishable moderators from a reliability viewpoint, even if they are from the volume aspect.

Well, he's got hotmail, and 6 "AOL Free 1000 Hours" CDs, so he's set. Cut the guy some slack, he's clearly thought this through.

Yup. Hell, I've got more computers than that in my workshop.

Prediction: If by some random chance this actually passes, it'll wither and die just like every other "I want a moderated group because I can" group.

...and when he gets bored with it, it'll just die, taking up namespace. Seen it happen for more than a dozen years, over and over and over.

Heck, I have more computers than that on my DESK.

Hm, let's see. Depending on if you count the VMWare instance of Windows that I have running on the Linux box, then yes or no.

I don't see why they would need more than two computers (one primary, and one for backup) to perform moderation duties, given that their software runs in an IE window. Technically, one computer and the WebTV would probably be enough.
--
Bill

DJ Delorie wrote:

Heck, I have more than that in my pockets most of the time.
--
--John

First liar hasn't got a chance, has he? 8-)
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA